Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM40/OMPC metering or shutter speed a... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » OM40/OMPC metering or shutter speed adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Helen Smith
Tinkerer
Username: Helens

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 22, 2006 - 05:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone;

I've got an Olympus OM40 Program (OMPC) which I feel is indicating and delivering speeds a little too slow - just a question of being a bit out of adjustment. I also have a "spares" body which I'm exploring first, and on peeling off the fingergrip side of the rubberized covering on the front, I notice that there are three potentiometers below the self timer LED housing. What precisely do they do? So far, I've found that the central one speeds up the indicated shutter speed in the finder when turned clockwise, and vice versa - but would like to know more about the function of all three before I touch them on the better body! I appreciate the one I've tried could have other hidden effects for all I know...

Thanks in advance,

Helen

Don Coppola
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 1

Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This model needs film in the camera to work properly due to the otf metering system. W/o film, the shutter sounds about the same speed no matter what the indication is. I have a few notes from working on 1 years back. But I would try it 1st w/a junk roll of film to see if things improve.

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, July 23, 2006 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about the OM40. There is a good article on the OM2SP at http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/PDFs/OM-2S_spt.pdf

The OM2SP also has 3 potentiometers, but it sounds like the positions are not the same: according to the article, the one nearest the lens is the LCD readout, the center one is the auto exposure adjustment and the outboard one is the 1/1000 sec trigger voltage.

It is particularly tricky to adjust autoexposure settings on an Olympus, because of the real-time Off the Film metering system: you have to have a lens on and film in the camera for the system to work.....

Helen
Tinkerer
Username: Helens

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you (belatedly!) for the replies - and that link to the Olympus site is very interesting too. I think the potentiometers on the OM40 are definitely in a different order to the OM2SP's. Stupid question, but: what does 1/1000 trigger voltage actually mean - i.e. what precisely is the function of what it adjusts? A timing that fine-tunes 1/1000 and gives a foundation for the other shutter speeds by their relation to it, perhaps?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration