Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Walzflex...anyone open one lately? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Walzflex...anyone open one lately? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got this Walzflex TLR setting in front of me. It is a friends, wife's late father's. For nostalgic reasons she'd like to use it to take photos of her new grandchild. Only it has sat in its leather case for who knows how many years and now its mirror has fungus and its shutter oily and its focus completely locked solid.

Anyone remember anything about how it comes apart? Like a Yashica?

Henry

John Scott
Tinkerer
Username: Scott

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have to admit that I have a Walzflex in pieces in a box here. It is the first TLR I ever disassembled, so I can't compare it to the Yashica. Don't recall anything tricky about disassembly (it's getting it back together that's always the hard part for me!). I think it's pretty obvious once you get the strap lugs, knobs and leatherette off. Then the the side plates come off.

I took mine apart to try to fix the stuck focus, but never was able to free up that brass focusing axel that is set into the cast-metal body. I tried various solvents, butane torch, needle-nosed visegrips, and finally gave up. Maybe should have tried some acid or something that would dissolve the corrosion. If that axel was steel, then maybe I could have gotten enough torque on it to break it free, but of course it's hard to put enough torque on brass without destroying it. Too bad such a small problem should render the whole thing useless.

I have another Walzflex that works fine, and I got some nice sharp prints with it. The one that works has the Telmer lens and a red window in the door. The one in pieces has the Kominar lens, Copal shutter, and a frame counter.

Let me know if you need any parts-- I have a box full.

Henry Taber

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the offer John. Don't know if I'll need parts yet...but how is your mirror? This one has seen better days.

Yesterday I took the viewer off and mirror out. Trying to hydrate the old grease right now. Drop of oil on each side of the wind shaft. After a few more drops...and lots of time...we'll see if the winding frees up.

Henry

John Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My mirror is fine, I think. You're welcome to it, if you need a replacement. Is yours the older or the newer Walzflex model? Might or might not make a difference. I'll measure the mirror I have and report back.

Even if you never get the focus axel un-stuck, I guess you might still be able to get some nice photos...depending on WHERE it is stuck. At about 7 or 8 feet would be fine for portraits!

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To free up the focus axle, use an acidic kettle descaler. Build up a putty/plasticine bund around the axle, fill it with the descaling solution and leave to penetrate.

The above was a well tried aero-engine fitters dodge, used to free up alloy heads corroded onto the cylinder studs. In the 1940's, acetic acid or strong vinegar was used. I was shown the method by a retired mechanic who had spent all his Service life on the RAF airsea rescue boats. Certainly beats the hammer and chisel!

Henry Taber

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RAF air/sea rescue boats? You mean our Stuart Willis? Although he was in the RAF during the 50's. So maybe you don't...

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Looks like the axle needs something serious to soak in.

Henry

John Scott
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

mirror is 60mm long. The wide end is 50mm, and the narrow end is 30mm.

Dan Mitchell
Tinkerer
Username: Dan_mitchell

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've done about three of those Walzflex stuck focus things. It can be a real pain. I just used a light oil and let it soak. Eventually the thing came apart. Here's my article on it, which shows complete disassembly.

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/walzflex/walzflex.html

Henry Taber

Post Number: 11

Posted on Friday, July 28, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool site Dan, thanks. That site answers all my questions. I'm in soaking, rehydrating mode right now. In a couple days I'll know if I have to remove the side panels.

And John, I'll measure the mirror tonight and let you know.

Thanks guys...

Henry

D.Brennan
Tinkerer
Username: Irish_eye

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Henry (and all),
I own two of these. Both had the typical stuck focus. First one I opened up, I found success with a handheld propane torch. Heated the brass shaft carefully, just enough to soften the grease, tap with a wooden dowel.. worked great.
P.S.- Dan.. your site is great, had it booked for a long time.

Henry Taber

Post Number: 12

Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dripping in a few drops of oil didn't work. But I've been too tied up to do anything else on it.

Looks like I'll have to take it apart.

Henry

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration