Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

ME Super Stuck in Bulb Mode Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » ME Super Stuck in Bulb Mode « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Zachary Gauthier
Tinkerer
Username: Zack

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Everyone,

As the title says, my Pentax ME Super seems to be stuck in bulb mode. It happened while I was using my brand new Winder ME II. When I hit the trigger release button, the mirror and shutter just stayed up and wouldn't come back down. If I try to use the camera without the winder, it acts like it's in bulb mode no matter what setting I'm on. The meter works.

I've googled this like crazy, but have found no reports of this exact issue. The camera along with the winder are in the shop now. They just called and told me they didn't think the winder could break it like that... I'm not sure I'm convinced yet. They'll overhaul the super for $195. I've read the article about the super, would a reset using the wind lock fix something like this?

Please help me,
-Zack

Henry Taber
Username: Henry

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

$195 Yikes!

Don't see how a winder could cause that problem. But to answer your question, yes, a resetting might get it running again...and might not.

But realize the shop isn't in business to do "mights". They can only afford to do the job right. Which means a complete CLA on a camera of that vintage. Otherwise, warranty work would overwhelm them.

To me the price seems high for a camera worth maybe 25% of their repair charge. Depends on how much that particular camera is worth to you.

Henry

Zachary Gauthier
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the reply. They said they'd take a closer look at the unit tomorrow morning and give me another call. If the only thing they'll do is a full blown CLA, I'll probably take it home and do some tinkering myself.

Don Coppola
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 06:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could be the bulb actuator plate needs adjusting. If so, no diassembly is needed other than peeling back the leather from the top lh wind side exposing an access hole. The actuator plate sits behind the release plate. Loosen the top set screw & adj. the eccentric just below it. Test the adj. by cocking the shutter & self timer. Release the shutter w/the ST - (shutter should be @ B or 125th). At the end of the release, the shutter should deliver a manual speed of about 1/100th.

Zachary Gauthier
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very interesting. Then I should probably mention... when I was messing around before I took it to the shop, I was able to get it to unstick while on the winder. I did this by moving the mode selector dial just PAST bulb mode and then back to any other setting. That actuator plate sounds promising.

Zachary Gauthier
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, July 26, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I went by the shop today to see how things were going. I swear I love that place. They fixed it and didn't even charge me. The mode selector dial/knob had become disconnected from the mechanism it actually moves. Apparently the last position it was in was bulb, so it was staying there. Five stars for LeZot Camera.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration