Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Weston II Meter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Weston II Meter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bob Lejuez
Tinkerer
Username: Bob_l

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 05:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone know how to take apart the Weston II meter, I broke the glass and would like to replace it.
There doesn't seen to be any screws to take it apart.
Thanks for nay help.
Bob

Brian Shaw
Tinkerer
Username: Brianshaw

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe the screws you need to find first are under the nameplate on the back of the meter. After that it is relatively self-explanatory. The glass in Weston meters is very, very thin.

Brian Shaw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe the screws you need to find first are under the nameplate on the back of the meter. After that it is relatively self-explanatory. The glass in Weston meters is very, very thin.

http://daniel.mitchell.name/cameras/westonmtr/westonmtr.html

Bob Lejuez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I removed the nameplate but there are no screws under it , the only screw is the one used for zeroing the meter.
There are two what looks like brass studs but that's all.

Bob Lejuez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got it, Those brass studs were screws without any heads, ridges on the side with I guess required a special tools to remove.
I was able using a needle nose pliers to get them out after that I was able to get the back cover off and removing two brass studs and one screw at the top I was able to get the front off.
Now I will be able to replace the glass with a thin piece of plexiglass with should stand up better than the thin glass that was in there.
Thanks for the help Brian, getting me to look at those stud did the trick.

David F. Ritchie
Tinkerer
Username: David_ritchie

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 06:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob, were those brass screws serrated all around? If so, and you need help in replacing or tightening them, go to the hardware store taking the meter along and look for thin wall tubing of either aluminun or brass in the plumbing section and find the size that that can be forced over the serrations and still go down into the hole where the screws are. The pieces of tubing are about 10" long. The aluminun or brass is soft enough that you can force it down over the serrations with little effort.

Bob Lejuez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, July 30, 2006 - 07:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks David, yes they are serrated, that's a great idea and that is just what I will do.
I have some tubing left over from one of my radio control planes that fit just right.
I new I came to the right place.
Thanks again
Bob

Bob Lejuez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here is some information in case anyone does what I did and break the glass on there Weston meter.
I found the clear plastic on a Memorex CD rom case is the perfect size in thinkness.
I just fixed my meter by cutting out a piece and it fits perfect plus it's stronger than the thin glass that Weston used.

Brian Shaw
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 09:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bob, I have a Weston III with broken glass. For the past few years it has been patched with sticky tape but I'd like to fix it one of these days. I was definitley planning on going the plastic route. I talked to Quality Light Metric and they would install a NOS glass but the cost was more than I care to invest. Memorex, huh... do you think brand matters???

Bob Lejuez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Brian
No Brian, that just happen to be the brand I had, looking at others they are all the same thickness.
When I cut the plastic I put painters tape on the plastic and used a jewelers saw which if you don't have one you can get at any Hobby store for a couple of dollars.
The tape keep the plastic from chipping and also keep the plastic clean.
I did mine this morning and it looks better than the glass one did and only took about half hour all told.

Jan Dvorak
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good job! The only caveat - Plexi or plastic will scratch, while glass will not. I would recommend putting one of those plastic protective sheets used for PDA's and digital camera screens; it will keep the Memorex plastic looking like new!

All the best,

Jan

Bob Lejuez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good advise Jan, I will do just that.
Thanks
Bob

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration