Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus RC bent filter ring Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus RC bent filter ring « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

George Welcher
Tinkerer
Username: Geowelch

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Picked up an Olympus 35 RC at a local 2nd hand store for $8 CDN. Everything seems to work but the filter ring is badly dented. I could use it as is, but would like to straighten ir out. I've found articles on fixing bent filter rings, but the problem is, I can't figure out how to get the ring off. No way to work on it otherwise. Any ideas?

Werner J. Becker
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 02:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi George, there is a fine repair tip how to undent filter rings in the repair section ("Articles"); I do not think that taking off the "ring" is necessary, it seems that Henry's article is what you are looking for, W.

Werner J. Becker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again, just remembered another source of information about "Repairing a dented filter ring" by M. Feuerbacher, http://www.feuerbacher.net/photo/frame.html
NB: As a punch tool I prefer using the plastic stem of a toothbrush, its point can easily be given any shape you want and it leaves the filter threads completely unharmed, W.

George Welcher
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 01, 2006 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Werner, thanks for the toothbrush tip - or stem ;o)
The filter ring on the 35RC is just about flush with the ring containing the CdS cell and the ASA setting window, which in turn surround the lens. There is a groove between them that allows the filter to fit. It pretty much has to come off to be straightened because there is no room to get a tool in there.

George

Werner J. Becker
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I have got one Oly 35 RC right in front of me on my desk now. Dismantling usually is easy: there is a threaded ring (with two notches) screwed into the filter thread. After unscrewing it the plastic front plate (one piece actually) that carries the CdS cell, the inner DIN/ASA ring and the nameplate comes off. In your case, however, dismantling this front part is perhaps not so easy because unscrewing that ring safely depends on an undented thread. With a bit of luck and intuition it is perhaps possible to get that part out of the way. In that case you should be able to undent the filter ring still fixed to the camera.
If you want to go any deeper you are advised to exactly mark the position of every part you take out, especially the position of the lens. (Otherwise infinity calibration is inevitable.) Set the lens to infitity before you start working, desolder the CdS cell (polarity doesn't matter). Unscrew the front lens group (during reassembly it has to be set in at exactly the same beginning of the thread, so mark where exactly it comes off!) after removal of those three slothead clamp screws defining infinity position. Carefully lift out the black metal part that is used for focussing the lens. Now the filter "ring" (it is more than just a ring!) can be dismantled after removing three crosshead screws. It is now free and can be worked on. Do not turn anything or change the position of any movable part; readjustment is possible, but not as easy as with other rangefinders, reassembly goes in reverse order, good luck, W.

George Welcher
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Whew! Thanks for the details Werner. Looks like the dent is more of a problem to fix that I thought. First step in fixing the dent - fix the dent! I may just learn to love it despite the flaws...

George Welcher
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, August 02, 2006 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BTW, good camera repair articles on the M. Feuerbacher site. Thanks for the link.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration