Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A-1 meter problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon A-1 meter problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Galuszewski
Tinkerer
Username: Gnashings

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, July 31, 2006 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, this is my firt post here, so I hope my post is in the right place!
Anyhow, I bought an old A1 and the camera seemed to function perfectly in every way. And during the day, it more less does... its when the light drops that things start to get weird!
The culprit is the meter: in bright daylight it reads pretty much spot-on or close to the meters I used to reference it with (ranging from older slr's to fairly new Elan 7 and even a Pentax Spotmeter). But when the light starts to drop, so does the accuracy of the meter. In the evening light it gets to be as much as 4 stops off, in room lighting it get really bad - as much as 6 stops! (to clarify, the meter indicates less light than there actually is - suggesting MASSIVE overexposure).
Now, the camera was a bit of a find (pricewise), and frankly I can't really justify sinking a couple hundred dollars into a proper repair. I was wondering if anyone has encountered this condition, and if anyone could give me any suggestions as to a possible home-brew fix. Frankly, I am willing to risk the camera as right now its of not much use to me and if I don't fix it, I don't foresee being able to afford having it fixed any time soon.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated,thanks in advance,

Peter.

Peter Galuszewski
Tinkerer
Username: Gnashings

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, you guys are a helpful bunch. Thanks for all your input, please, no more - I can't take all this in... Princes among men, every last one of you...

Henry Taber
Username: Henry

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some people do sarcasm well, others don't...

Peter, you asked for a "home-brew fix" for an electronic camera with what looks like serious IC trouble. Likely you are in for some involved circuit tracing and IC swapping. Nothing home-brew there!

In your first paragraph you come off sounding like a very knowledgeable and experienced tinkerer. Then in your second paragraph you blow the image by asking a very naive question.

Personally, when I read a message like yours it makes me think of people who start a discussion of a machine's design by saying "I'm no engineer but...". In my thirty plus years of engineering I find these people are nearly impossible to help because they have already made up their minds they know more than you. Whether you intended it or not, to me at least, this is how I read your question. And I didn't want to step in the middle of it.

Many here, especially Glenn, can probably help with advice and parts on Canons. I don't work much on electronic cameras. But the question must be phrased differently.

Henry

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 29

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Henry. The 'home brew' made me think the same way as you.

Peter,
The quickest and simplest thing to do would be be try and recalibrate the meter circuit first. However whilst this is a simple procedure to someone with all the kit, to the uninitiated it could be a problem.

Contact me direct if you want some detailed info. Alternatively look in the archives, as I recall there is a US based Canon repairman who has offered his services recently - seems to know his stuff. If the camera is in good condition otherwise, it may be worth spending a few bucks.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration