Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zenit 3 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Zenit 3 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Holz
Tinkerer
Username: Rob_the_waste

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently came across a corroded Zenit 3 SLR. After I cleaned it up, I put a roll of film through it. The camera works nicely except for one thing. The lens and prism are not coordinated. The lens is an M39 Helios 44. The glass is clean, and the focus and stopping down is smooth. Is there any way to adjust the prism. I tried adjusting the lens, but it now focuses short although it looks good in the viewfinder. I'll readjust the lens to where it was. The mirror sits properly on the arm at the side. Zenit 3

John Farrell
Tinkerer
Username: John_f

Post Number: 4

Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know about the Zenit 3, but the 3m has a pair of long screws in front of the prism, that allow ajustment of the lever that locks the mirror. They work a rocker arrangement that allows the pivot for the lever to be raised and lowered, raising or lowering the mirror position.

Robert Holz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, August 04, 2006 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No John, it's not quite that simple. It's definitely inside the top cover. I need to take it off. Thanks anyway.

John Farrell
Tinkerer
Username: John_f

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 02:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's right. I assumed you had removed the top cover.

Zygmunt Roslon
Tinkerer
Username: Zygi

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 04:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I know the camera.If you want to do something with prism, have to remove top of camera .The trick is only with the collar ring around the shutter button. You have to screw it off ( against clock twist) by turning with narrow plaiers through any leather strip to avoid damage to chrome if you patient enough..Prism itself is fastened if remember with two screws ,easy job. By the way you can clean focussing (all glass) screen .The trouble later is working with spring to make the cocking lever returning back...(-: Have a fun !!

Zygmunt Roslon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 04:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ATTENTION !!! The ring comes off turning CLOCKWISE>>>>>> sorry buddy. Just checked it on my camera ..

Robert Holz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zygi, you've almost got me there. Just one last thing. On the film advance spindle side, looking up from the inside, there are three screws going up through the top of the body. Will they release the top cover?

Robert Holz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One last question. How do I disengage the film advance knob from above the deck? I've loosened the three screws inside, and the top is coming loose. Does it merely pry off?

Zygmunt Roslon
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove the screws , lift all out and top ready to go..Pay attention to spring, how it is attached ,because you will need to reattach again.After you fix anything you want on top (prism,screen..lubrication of gear etc)after top is back, you need to turn and hold it by pressing with any pik slighty the cocking wheel to wchich comes lever ,before you screw it (lever)in back ,just to have some tension for a back turn action after you cock it later.If you try remove screen, it is held by two spring wires both sides.Tricky job to pull them alongside with indeed thin tweezers and when put them one side back first into tiny hole and the other..To make my job easer I personally strighted a bit this wires(springs) as found still will be enough pressure to hold screen..Do not scratch screen with tweezers!!Pull it off by holding wire lump with tweezers, when in,,,first put into hole the longer end of wire as shorter with lump you hold it by comes right to momemt where the lump is as a stop. (The is some lump at each wire ,so hold it by it) . Good luck.If you can ,clean the screen not removing it.It is glass,can do with spirit. No risk.

Robert Holz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 07:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The screws are out, but the frame counter seems to be holding the prism on. Do I remove the counter, or do I just pry the top up with it?

Robert Holz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The film advance wheel will not separate from the spindle. The top is completely loose except for that. I've tried to pry it up, but it won't let go.

Robert Holz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Zygi, I got it. You didn't mention the frame counter simply unscrews. The rest was gravy. I'll set up the focus in the daylight tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

Robert Holz
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, thank you too. The top is off and it is just as you described.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration