Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica-mat 124G shutter cocking Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica-mat 124G shutter cocking « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wim Abbeloos
Tinkerer
Username: Wim_abbeloos

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have removed the front from a yashica-mat 124G. Shutter is working fine. When I put the front back on the winding mechanism does not cock the shutter. I can cock the shutter fine with my hands when the front is removed. The winding mechanism seems to be working fine, but this is the first time I open up a yashica TLR so I'm not sure.

When I got it the shutter cocking lever (on the shutter) was bent inwards and downwards. I bent it back without a problem. There seems to be something wrong with the linkage between body and shutter. When I force the wind lever when the front is attached the shutter cocking lever is bent again to the position I originally received it in.

I looked at Rick Olesons notes (thanks again for your excellent site), but he does not have notes on the linkages. All help appreciated.

Wim Abbeloos
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An exploded parts diagram I found didn't help much either, except for confirming I bent the shutter cocking plate back to the right shape...

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wind mechanism in the 124G is susceptible to wear, and can fail to cock the shutter if badly worn. It is reached through the right hand side panel. I have some sketches that might help if you would like to email me for them.

Wim Abbeloos
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wind mechanism seems to work well. The cocking arm moves down and up again when winding forward, and down and up again when winding in reverse direction to cock the shutter. I'm not sure why it moves up and down twice.

I don't know wether the wind mechanism is the problem...

richard a oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you said you can cock the shutter with your hands when the front is removed, but you don't say whether the winding lever cocks it when the front is removed. does it? in other words, does the problem appear when the cover goes on or when you are cocking it with the camera's linkage rather than your finger?

Wim Abbeloos
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can cock the shutter by pushing the shutter cocking plate with my hands.

By front I mean the entire part that is moved forward when focussing. I did not disassmebly it any more. When I attach the front and try to operate the camera as usual (wind), the linkage will bend the shutter cocking plate instead of cocking the shutter.

richard a oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 04:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It doesn't seem to me that there would be enough resistance in the shutter to keep it from cocking, so I would guess that the 2 main possibilities are either that something is obstructing the mechanism due to being out of place when you reassemble the front, or else the cocking linkage is not pushing far enough to fully cock the shutter. The latter could also be related to something being out of its proper position, or it could be wear in the linkage.

Wim Abbeloos
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, August 05, 2006 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll check for things that may be vlocking teh cocking plate when the front is reinstalled.

Not fully cocking wouldn't explain the fact the cocking plate actually gets bent...

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration