Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Compound shutter repair manual? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Compound shutter repair manual? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eugen Mezei
Tinkerer
Username: Eugen_mezei

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

I have a Compound air timed shutter where it seems that the previous owner did exactly what S.K. Grimes describes:
"First, their odd operating ergonomics require that the cocking lever not be used when the shutter is set to the "B" or "T" functions. Forcing the cocking lever (and thereby damaging the mechanism) happens frequently when these are up for inspection at buy/sell shows or in the hands of uninstructed assistants or other users."
(http://www.skgrimes.com/compound/index.htm)

Unfortunately Mr. Grimes describes only the adjustment of the iris blades not the repair of the air piston mechanism. I talked to him but sending the shutter in to him and back to me would be a problem (mostly a financial one), so he recommended me to look out for repair manuals where the compound is described.

Can anyone help me in finding that books or copies of them? To start with a booktitle or author would be usefull.

Greetings,

Eugen

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 21

Posted on Sunday, August 06, 2006 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm afraid I don't have one. I do have some notes on the Wollensak Versar air shutter, which is similar in concept .... I don't know if they would be much help or not, but you're welcome to them if you want them.

Eugen Mezei
Tinkerer
Username: Eugen_mezei

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Richard, hi list!

I mailed again with Mr. Adam from S. K. Grimes and he wrote me, that the only book he knows where the Compound air piston is described is:

Romney, Edward H.: Revised Basic Training in Camera Repair

I could buy it at
http://www.gfw.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=38_549_630&products_id=13398
but for the price I can buy a new shutter. :-( (Well, I don't learn anything than....)

Do anyone have this book and would be so kind to make me a copy of the pages where the Compound is discussed?

Richard, I would be happy to get your notes about the Wollensack too, but don't know how to contact you.
Would you be so kind to write me an e-mail? [email protected]

Thank you,

Eugen

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 45

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

46 Euros!!!!!!!!

I do have an old copy of that "basic training" book. I don't recall it having that information in it, but I'll take a look.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration