Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Scratched my lens! What should I do? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Scratched my lens! What should I do? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

daniel buitrago
Tinkerer
Username: Dbuitrago

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just scratched the lens (or is it just a glass piece that can be replaced?) on my Sony Cybershot DSC-H5. It is a small scratch but I want to replace that piece. How much would something like this cost me? Any advice?? Thank you

Adrian Gray
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mate, you are about to be jumped on for not reading the forum instructions - they say "no questions about digital cameras!".

Take some snaps, blow them up to maximum resolution and see whether it actually makes a difference - you'd be amazed at the punishment a lens can take. Classic treatment for a chipped lens is to paint the chip black to stop it reflecting.

If it does make a difference, take it back to the shop and say "Help!". They are as good as disposable, so you will probably have to buy a new one.

Failing that, buy a 1970s SLR off eBay. We'll be much friendlier! Digital schmigital!

Ben Hutcherson
Tinkerer
Username: Ben_hutcherson

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, August 07, 2006 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chances are, it would cost almost as much if not more to replace a single lens element than it would cost you to buy a whole camera. Plus, replacing a lens element isn't a do-it-yourself job, especially not a tiny zoom lens like most digitals have.

As Adrian says, a tiny scratch on the front element probably won't make a bit of difference. It will sometimes make the lens more prone to flare, but coatings are good enough these days that this isn't even so much of a problem.

Far more problematic is a scratch on the rear element, which you probably won't ever see on a camera such as yours. This is really only an issue with removable lens cameras.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration