Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Balda Baldessa 1a Film Wind Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Balda Baldessa 1a Film Wind « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave Bell
Tinkerer
Username: Deebel

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 08, 2006 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

New to Forum and would welcome your advices..

I have a Balda Baldessa 1a 35mm in nice condition with the exception that the film advance turnbuckle on the base has become unscrewed and I cannot see how to screw it back on to the threaded post as it threads on against a spring and I see no way of holding the internal post which keeps turning.

Is there a way to reattach the winder without dismantling? The winder is called a quick wind I think.. A half turn evidently advances the film and cocks the shutter.

Any help gratefully received
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian Gray
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry Dave, I opened my Baldessa 1a up to see if I could help and I cannot see how to do it either!

If the turnbuckle was screwed on in the first place then it MUST go back, mustn't it? IIRC the spool that the film winds on to is geared to the film advance sprocket - would it hold it still if you held the sprocket and attempted to screw it back on? Also it is probably left-hand threaded - certainly it should screw on in the same direction that you turn it to wind on, thus keeping it tight.

Apologies if I am trying to teach you to suck eggs at any point!

Good luck with it - mine has the Isco-Goettingen lens and takes very nice pics in good light. In low light it tends to over-expose, which I suspect is a result of sluggish slow speeds. Also, you will need to fiddle to get a modern 35mm cartridge in and out of it - I suspect that an extra millimetre has crept into the dimensions somewhere over the years. Funny, my Retina 148 takes one without a hint of a struggle!
Given that it cost 15 pounds, takes 35mm, and is easier to pocket than an SLR mine gets a lot of use on walking holidays!
(sorry, all that extra is just to give you a little hope!)

Adrian

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration