Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 shutter speed wire unwound... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon AE-1 shutter speed wire unwound, Help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dave
Tinkerer
Username: Grnwavdav

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was trying to repair my shutter button and the thin wire that controls the shutter speed and asa (I think) unwound. It had a tension on it before but when I removed the shutter speed disk it shot back and unwound itself. I don't know how to recalibrate it, and I can't find any free online repair manuals for the AE-1. I found one for a AE-1 program but not the plain old AE-1. Can anyone help? Or does anyone know were to find a free online repair manual for the AE-1?

Doug Willcott
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 09:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Dave
For a repair manual goto www.canonfd.com you will find all the information you require there.

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 24

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a sketch for restringing the thing, but it's too big to upload here... email me if you want a copy

: ) =

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 17

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave,

As you have found, there does not seem to be a free download of the official AE-1 manual available. Even Christian's excellent canonfd site does not list one. This can be a problem because many of the other A Series model repair manuals refer back to the original AE-1 issue.

In fact the early issue of the official Canon AE-1 manual is a pretty poor affair, being more of an 'aide memoire' for people attending a Canon technician's course.

The best AE-1 repair manual is the one issued in 1977 by the American National Camera Organisation. This was issued for their 1977 summer school, which was run in conjunction with Canon. The manual is especially good, because it addresses all the problems repair technicians were actually experiencing. I purchased my copy from www.lensinc.net.

Rick's excellent sketch/note will get your camera working again, however if you still need a manual you may have to purchase one.

Dave
Tinkerer
Username: Grnwavdav

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for your responses.

Henry Taber
Username: Henry

Post Number: 15

Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe Manuals4Less gives away a free AE1 repair manual. At least they used to. I got a copy from them. But Glenn is right, the National Camera manual is much better.

Henry

Don Coppola
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, August 12, 2006 - 04:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you need more help, I have the Natcam manual & the SPT service notes. Can scan & send the info if you need it.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration