Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica M 35mm f1.9 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica M 35mm f1.9 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

ron johnson
Tinkerer
Username: Ron2001a

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 02:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi
i read your site and others looking for some info on an old camera (but a great one in its day) a Yashica M 35mm f1.9 lens.
i used it extensively when my kids were young; mainly to take colour slides and then put it away when i was too busy to go on holidays or couldn't afford film processing etc.
when i returned to use it recently i find the shutter is stuck and nothing i do allows it to open...everything else seems to work fine.
i want to use its capabilities to take pics of my fluorescent (UV) collection of rocks and have been unsuccessful so far with my digital camera.
i have examined it carefully but still no idea how to take the lens off the yashica camera to even start to examine the shutter mechanism and, bearing in mind the maxim that i will probably wreck it as my first camera repair, i want to see if i can first obtain any instructions that may give me a 50\50 chance.
i have tried to have it repaired by city camera people but all are very gloomy that parts would be obtainable if needed...they want to charge like a wounded bull to tell me that maybe it can't be repaired.
so my attitude is that nothing is lost if i try myself...i currently use a digital camera (6mp pentax sn5) but the quality of pics is nowhere near what i used to get with the yashica and i don't have much control on shutter speed.
i was given the camera new as a present in the early 60's and live in Australia.
attached is a pic of the camera.
i am hoping you can give me some advice or point me to where i can get it
thanks
ronYashica M camera front pic

Howard Powne
Tinkerer
Username: Howpow

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 07:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ron. I haven't handled this particular model but I do have a couple of early Yashica Ministers which are quite similar in appearance. With these I can grasp the very front ring and unscrew it anti clockwise. If yours is similar this will remove the entire front cell and give you access to the shutter leaves. If you search the archives on this site you will find many threads telling how to clean the blades with lighter fluid, cotton buds etc. I'm sure that your problem is simply that the blades have stuck together.
Good luck!!

ron johnson
Tinkerer
Username: Ron2001a

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 05:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

eureka !!! it works.
now i can get at blades and clean them.
it was very tight and i had no idea it came off.
thanks heaps Howard

Howard Powne
Tinkerer
Username: Howpow

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 07:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ron. Glad it worked. Let's know how you go with it. Perserverence is the key!!
Best wishes.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration