Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Bridged meter cicuits and 1.55 Volts Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Bridged meter cicuits and 1.55 Volts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lorne Spry
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a question about the bridged meter circuit in a Praktica LTL3. And I am ASSUMING from what I have read that it indeed does have an bridged circuit.

SOLUTION AS ADOPTED
A local dealer sold me a non-electronic adapter to physically contain a Toshiba silver oxide 1.55 Volt battery. I have seen a graph that shows the discharge voltage to be very nearly the same as the banned mercury types such as the 625's. So one problem is taken care of. BUT, do I still need to worry about metering in strong light ? Do I need to set the ASA setting by +1 to +2 f stops?

Stephen Brian
Tinkerer
Username: York_praktica_fan

Post Number: 1

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lorne

I've been using the MTL3 for years, I have read that it is bridge circuit.

I have sucessfully used the alkaline PX625 cells in the camera

Lorne Spry
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Stephen. My research tells me that the alkaline version increased from the mercury version's 1.35 Volts to 1.5 Volts. When you say 'successfuly', am I right in assuming that you were not making exposure compensations of some kind? If so, I am very reassured.

The silver oxdide SR-43 I am using is .05 Volt greater than the alkaline PX625, which should be negligable IMO. I have read that the bridged circuit in the LTL is not fussy about Voltage, but I really want some confirmation for two reasons. Firstly, I was getting some suprising readings today in bright light Ñ but then it has been a long time since I have used an internal lightmeter. (I am used to using old Zeiss Ikons and the f16 rule). Secondly, I want to travel with this camera next week, and I have not much time for testing.

BTW: Years ago I had a Praktica (LLC?) with the electrically coupled lens and the full open aperture metering system. It was brilliant, and the light metering was the best of ANY camera I have ever used. I abandoned the model after I had two shutter overhauls in very short order. I kept the Meyer Gorlitz lenses (50 & 100mm) and they are now belong to the stop-down type LTL3 I found in a used camera shop recently. I am SO happy to have found a very clean unit!

Cheers and thanks for the first reply to my first ever thread on this forum. Ñ Lorne

Roy Randall
Tinkerer
Username: Roy

Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In electronics a 'Bridge' circuit is a balanced circuit that should handle slightly over or under voltages with accuracy. Who says modern is best?

Ernestojl
Tinkerer
Username: Ernestojl

Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 06:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The bridge type exposure meters would only suffer from some slightly increased sensitivity, but will bring accurate exposure readings.
Depending on the type of markings in the VF, the Over/ under exposure markings are usually placed 1/2 stop or less over and under the right value. Raising the battery voltage will reduce the a/m gap. In fact nothing the be worried about.
Cheers. Ernesto

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration