Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax K1000 black battery wire repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax K1000 black battery wire repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Clarke
Tinkerer
Username: Peterclarke

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wire that is attached to the battery holder has corroded and needs replacing.I would like to put a completely new piece of wire in as opposed to soldering a piece to it and then to the b/h.I see that it goes up into the body.If I take the top plate off will I find the other end attached to something or doesn`t it go that far? Peter

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 28

Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't recall replacing the whole wire in the K1000, but you have an advantage with the Pentax: the whole front panel comes right off - peel back the leather and remove the 5 visible screws - so you should be able to trace the wire all the way up from the battery box to the meter circuit on top and replace it without having to feed it from one end to the other.

Peter Clarke
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I took the front plate off,thanks to your input, but sadly the wire seems to be corroded as far as I can get inside the compartment.I got some bright metal but don`t seem to be able to solder it to the new piece of wire so either I am doing something wrong or the top will have to come off. Any views

richard a oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 38

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's that far gone, the top will have to come off. With the top and front both off, you ought to be able to replace the entire wire.

Peter Clarke
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it easy to get the top off? I found a drawing in the archives but the winding lever/exposure counter looks like it might be a problem.Any tips?

richard a oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 42

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 03:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, not too hard. it's pretty similar to the spotmatic shown at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-113.html .... note that the screw in the center of the frame counter, and the spanner nut under it, are both Left Hand threads.

there are at least 2 variations of the K1000; email me at [email protected] if you would like a sketch of the 2 i know of.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration