Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Folder Shutter / Lens Interchangeabil... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Folder Shutter / Lens Interchangeability/Upgradeability? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom Simpson
Tinkerer
Username: Bullet308

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi:

I have recently aquired a small pile of low/midgrade 120 folders, mostly AGFAs, with a Kodak and a Voigtlander Bessa tossed in for good luck. The German cameras come with the usual variety of shutters and lenses found on the bottom to midgrade cameras of their era. However, one of the AGFA Isolets came in with a Compur-Rapid shutter and Solinar lens, a fairly high-end setup, as I understand it, but on a otherwise unremarkable Isolet I body. I wonder if it was a custom-order item.

The question is, to what extent can the shutters and lenses on these things be swapped around? If I wanted to put that Compur-Rapid/Solinar combo on one of the other AGFA cameras (or on the Voigtlander, for that matter), how readily is this done?

Thanks
-Tom
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner Bergmann
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is not difficult to swap shutters and lenses between folders when some conditions meet. Of couse the caliper of the shutters must be equal and the focal length must be equal. After swapping you have to re-adjust the focus. That might be tricky. Some old folders used paper shims to adjust the focal lenght.

If you mount a Solinar lens onto a Voigtländer the camera will loose its collectors value since this is no original combination. You should be aware of this.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration