Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax k1000 problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax k1000 problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas Lipski
Tinkerer
Username: Redhoof617

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I just found my mom's old Pentax k1000 and she said that it has a problem that when you move like the picture adavancer bar thing that the film rips. Does anyone have any idea of how I could fix this or how much it is to professionally fix it? Basically any information about this camera and this problem will be useful to me. Should I just buy a new camera?

Jeff Polaski
Tinkerer
Username: Polaski

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, at the prices K1000's are selling at, unless you have a sentimental attachment to the camera, you should probably shop the auction site for a body being sold by someone with good feedback.

In that case, now that we are in the "spending some money" catagory instead of just using a found camera, you should seriously consider what you want from a fully manual 35mm camera. Pentax is a good line, because it's the glass that counts and all Pentax camera bodies are backward compatible with everything back to the Pentax M42 mount. (I have 2 KX bodies and use the same lenses on my new ist* DS).

What is it you want to do?

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 33

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it sounds like the film advance sprocket is working great, but something is holding the film back. just about the only thing that can do that is the rewind knob and shaft.... check the rewind knob and make sure that it turns freely and easily, there should be no resistance when you turn the crank. if there is, pull it up and see if the shaft looks bent. if the shaft is straight and it doesn't want to turn, then it might just be very dirty - in that case drip a bit of cigarette lighter fluid alongside the shaft so that it runs into the hole and work the thing around a bit, see if it cleans out and starts working better.

IF it gets to the point where it turns very freely, then try reloading film and see what you get.

Don Coppola
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 06:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In addition to Rick's comments, use a magnifying glass to check for film chips, dirt etc. above & below the spool. One of my K1000's was harder to wind than it should have been. Using a pipe cleaner w/a drop of lighter fluid cleaned it up so it worked as it should.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration