Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Meyer Oreston 1:8/50mm Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Meyer Oreston 1:8/50mm « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lorne Spry
Tinkerer
Username: Thol

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After being without a Praktica body for many years, I recently aquired a clean example of the LTL. I had retained the fluted, bright-work Meyer lenses from an LCL. For years my attention was drawn to the Orestor 2:8/100. I didn't give the the 50mm much thought until I mated it up to my new/old LTL3 Ñ until the test shots came back today. WOW!

There is always something not quite right with every lens I've used, but this one has nearly everything right. I had not used it for many years, so perhaps in the meantime I have learned how to appreciate it. Not too hard, not too soft Ñ it seems to know what to do with the subject. Detail is rendered crisp and sharp in a way that only my Agfa medium format folder can come up to; nevertheless, it is a kind sort of portrait lens. Crisp resolution is maintained throughtout the full depth of field, and I cannot agree with one old German camera buff's comment that it is known as a soft focus lens. If it has any faults, it might be due to the fact that it must predate the multicoating version.

Can anyone describe how to identify the multicoated verision? Did multicoating appear in the M-42 mounting of this lens, or was it only in the B-mount?

Stephen Brian
Tinkerer
Username: York_praktica_fan

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lorne

the Oreston 50mm effectively became the pentacon 50mm (purists would tell you that thet were notthe same lens) The pentacon was definitely available with multi-coating as an M42, the last models were black bodied with green and white numbering details, these were produced from the MTL3 through to the MTL50, I suspect that the Pentacon to match the LTL3 might have been red detailed although I'm guessing.

For more detailed Praktica discussions have you found the Yahoo group "Praktica User Group Worldwide" (PUGW)?

hope this helps

Stephen

Alex MacPhee
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Stephen is right about the Oreston becoming the Pentacon. I remember having one in the late sixties in Exakta mount for the RTL1000, though I think it was just single-coated. A nice lens, as I recall.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration