Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon em- fades to black picture Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon em- fades to black picture « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

mari miceli
Tinkerer
Username: Mmiceli

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of the pictures from my Nikon EM fade to black on one side, almost in a curved way. Others are completely black. Only some of the pictures turn out fine. Does this sound like a shutter problem? One camera repair place told me that Nikon EM shutters are no longer available.

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 35

Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does, except that the EM shutter travels vertically so one would more expect to see the fading at the top or bottom rather than at one side. However, if a blade is damaged and hanging crooked this could create that effect. It will be most pronounced at the fastest speeds, and not noticeable below 1/125 or so if this is the case.

The Nikon EM is very inexpensive to replace and most definitely would not warrant the cost of a repair on this scale. If you find that the shutter is damaged or defective, I would look for another body.

In addition to the EM, there are other Nikon models that are worth looking at if you're at this stage: the FG and FG-20 are based on the EM chassis but have manually controllable shutter speeds in addition to autoexposure (and the FG also has a "Program" autoexposure function). Other good choices are the FE (automatic) and FM (manual-only) series, which are very rugged cameras, but they will be noticeably more expensive.

mari miceli
Tinkerer
Username: Mmiceli

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Richard for the information on my camera.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration