Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Konica AutoReflex T focus problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Konica AutoReflex T focus problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean Lindsay
Tinkerer
Username: Ukimi367

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I am certainly not a camera expert and I am having a particularly vexing problem with a used Konica AutoReflex T I bought on eBay.

The camera seems to be in great shape and the pictures look great when focus is set to infinity. But when I try and focus on objects that are close, the pictures are out of focus.

I have run a test roll of film and I am sure that I am getting the picture in focus when I look through the viewfinder (The AutoReflex T has a prismatic center element that is used to visually focus the subject). Yet the pictures (especially those with the aperture set so that it provides a blurry background with the subject in focus) suggest that the focal point is about a foot behind the subject.

Is this a common problem? I have searched this forum and the internet in general but have found no hint of others having this issue.

Any suggestions/advice/insight would be greatly appreciated

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 40

Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you focus on something at a very long distance, does it look sharp in the finder when the lens is at the infinity mark? i would guess not....

the most likely cause of the finder not matching the film is the mirror not being in the right position. if the mirror is too high, it can be from dirt or a film chip on top of the little bumper that it rests on when in the down position, not too uncommon.... but if i'm thinking right, that should make it appear to focus in front of the subject rather than behind. i don't have a Konica handy, but in many cameras the bumper is adjustable and someone might have gotten it out of adjustment in either direction.

the main other possibility is the focusing screen being out of position, but this would be very difficult to make happen without disassembling the camera and screwing it up.

Sean Lindsay
Tinkerer
Username: Ukimi367

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 07:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Richard-

Thanks for the advice. I don't have the camera in front of me, but I seem to remember the image was sharp in the finder at the infinity mark. I will double check though. I will also check and see if the bumper is adjustable. Thanks again for the help!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration