Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Disassembling the Konica C35 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Disassembling the Konica C35 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doris Te
Tinkerer
Username: Kitty

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, can someone please point me to a guide on how to open up a C35, particularly the top plate? I would like to access the meter. So far I have removed to the advance lever and the screw under the rewind knob. I can't for the life of me remember how to take out the hotshoe, and I'm not sure what to do with the parts underneath the advance lever.

charles stobbs
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've never taken a C35 apart but mine appears to have a thin cover plate with a lip on the front which can be gently pried up enough to slide it back through the grooves until it is clear of the shoe. Other cameras are similar although some hotshoes are permanently attached to the cover and depend on a leaf spring inside to provide electrical connectivity when the cover (and shoe) are in place. Good luck.

Dan Mitchell
Tinkerer
Username: Dan_mitchell

Post Number: 3

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a wire to the hotshoe that you have to unsolder or cut but there shouldn't be a need to remove the hotshoe. There is a retaining nut under the wind lever. Lift off the "winged" metal piece underneath the advance lever and then you see a slotted retaining nut on the wind shaft.

charles stobbs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 06:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Dan says some of the contacts are soldered. But if you hate to solder, as I do, some times if you unscrew the hotshoe (after removing the trim) there is a large enough hole in the top cover that you can push the contact down through the hole before removing the cover. You have to remember to feed the contact back up through the hole at reassembly.

Doris Te
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, all. Dan, thanks for the tip, the "winged" piece had me stumped for a while. Now got to figure out how to work on that nut.

That's very helpful Charlie, as I don't even know how to solder.:D As for loosening up that hotshoe, I was able to do so on a Minolta HiMatic before, but I can't remember where and in what direction I applied pressure--Is it from the front to back, vice versa, up, or down?

charles stobbs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you can slide the trim plate off there should be small screws underneath which hold the shoe on the cover. Just remove them.

Doris Te
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 06:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, everyone's tips helped, I got success up to here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/nicoandfriends/PICT6047.jpg

The top plate now comes loose...I see four small round things under the trim plate of the hotshoe, but they don't look like screws as they have no slot for a screwdriver tip to go in.

Also, the rewind lever is still attached to the body, the only thing I have removed is the screw underneath it, is there something else I have to take out to be able to remove it?

charles stobbs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 07:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rewind lever is probably removed by opening the back. putting a nail, scredriver blade, etc. into the fork of the rewind spool to hold it still while unscrewing the rewind crank (CCW). There may be some small washers that will fall into the film cavity along with the fork or be loose under the top cover. Some cameras have a spring washer on the shaft of the fork to hold it and any inside washers in place so only the rewind crank and outside washers will be loose. It might be safest to hold the camera upside down while unscrewing the crank and catch any washers that come loose with the crank. It's possible the shoe is riveted on and you may have to cut the wire.

Doris Te
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 09:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, got it! Thanks so much for your patience in explaining all these. It's off now, though I'm trying to keep it close to the body to avoid cutting off the shoe. Wow, camera innards, this is exciting!:D

So now, uhm...Would anyone know where the RF horizonal alignment can be adjusted, and the meter accessed? My meter was sensitive to light, but it was off about 1 or 2 stops (overexposing) and the needle would not go up to f/14, 1/650. I figured it was dying, but I wanted to check and see if it had any chance anyway. Now I'm afraid I might have killed it, as the needle has not moved since I have opened it up even though I put in a battery and pointed it at a light source.

This is where I am now:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/nicoandfriends/PICT6057.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/nicoandfriends/PICT6051.jpg

PS. Any idea what that square transparent tape-like thing at the left corner of the picture of the camera's back is?

charles stobbs
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At this point I'm winging it but if you open the back cover there is a small screw immediately below the lower right hand corner of the viewfinder and if you take this screw out it may give you access to a rangefinder adjustmeent screw. Also if you Google Matt Denton's camera pages there is a suggestion that the Konica C35 is identical to a Minolta Himatic E and both cameras may have been actually made by Cosina. This may help you track down more info. Good luck>

Doris Te
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent suggestion, Charlie, it worked like a charm! Thank you so much.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration