Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sticking down leatherette on Pentax K... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Sticking down leatherette on Pentax K1000 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert Boyet
Tinkerer
Username: Robertboyet

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am new to this forum, so I hope I can fit in. I have been taking apart an old Pentax K1000 with a jamed film advance in an attempt to fix it. I have tried all that I have read in archived forums about resesetting, releasing, cleaning etc. with no results as yet. I have the bottom and top off and have found nothing obviously obstructing movement so I am considering removing the front but all the info. I have tells me to remove the leatherette covering first but nothing I have seen as of yet tells me how to stick it back down so it looks good again. How is this done professionally? Another thing--what material is used to cushion and seal around the prism. It looks a little like light seal type foam but it's more a light yellow or maybe white that has aged to yellow. I also have a very wierd thing appearing dead center of my prism that looks sort of like some strange bird. What could it be and how could it get there? Enough for one setting.

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 44

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The leatherette is originally attached with a sort of peel-and-stick type adhesive. If you peel it back carefully, you may be able to stick it back down; if this doesn't work, remove it completely, clean off the adhesive and use contact cement.

You can get a good kit of foam materials from Jon Goodman at [email protected] - he can probably also help you in selecting the best foam for the situation.

What you see in the prism may be deterioration of the silvering. There is no cure for it, short of replacing the prism, but it doesn't hurt anything if you can get used to seeing the strange bird in your viewfinder.

Robert Boyet
Tinkerer
Username: Robertboyet

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 09:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Richard. I did some research and found that a roll 2" wide X 60 yards of the two sided peel-and-stick adhesive can be had for $40.00 at Micro-Tools---but who needs that much at that price unless he's in the business of restoring cameras? I can pick up a small bottle of the contact cement for about $3.00 so I'm going that route. Thanks for the tip.

I haven't contacted Jon about the foam materal but that's my next "to-do" thing.

The prism will have to do for now. I will probably see stranger things than this in my viewfinder before it gets fixed!!

Thanks and talk to you latter.

Bob Boyet

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration