Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax K1000 focus screen: Help? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Pentax K1000 focus screen: Help? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

J Muzzelle
Tinkerer
Username: Jesse

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 03:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could anyone help with advice or reference on how to remove the K1000 focus screen? I have the new screen and I have the top plate off. The next step looks more difficult as the screen is covered by a rigid material which looks like it's held in place by two springs. Would be grateful for any info.

richard a oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 43

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The big black thing is the pentaprism. To get it out of the way, remove the eyepiece/light cell assy (2 screws), loosen 2 screws at the front corners of the prism, then remove the spring-loaded brass clip and you can lift the prism out. I don't have specific notes on the screen retaining system, but hopefully it will be apparent when you get this far. The meter needle is above the screen -- take special care to avoid damaging the needle.

J Muzzelle
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, many thanks Richard! Have removed prism and see the screen beneath (including needle). There seems to be some glass above the screen but maybe I'm wrong about this. I can't see how the screen is retained. There seems to be a bronze colour frame around the edge. There does not seem be anything holding it and I tried to ease it loose but not yielding unless perhaps more force and I dont really want to force it out. Have you encountered this?

Don Coppola
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You have to remove the focusing screen tray (4 screws)in order to access the screen. What you are seeing is the condenser lens w/the screen beneath it @ the bottom of the tray. In order to do this, the meter comes out - some wires to unsolder + 2 screws or leave it attached but you still need to unsolder some wires to remove the meter & tray as a unit. Then you have to remove a screw at the side of the tray to drop it out. Making sure all is clean will be the biggest problem as any dust will be magnified when looking thru the finder. You may be better off having it done by a pro or living w/it as is. I can send a scan of whats involved.

J Muzzelle
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 01:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Don
Really appreciate your help. Sounds as though this is beyond my ability. I never knew about having to unsolder wires. If it's not a hassle I would appreciate the scan as I may get someone to help me. Kind regards..

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration