Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

A1 Battery Cover Door Replacement Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » A1 Battery Cover Door Replacement « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Craig Palmer
Tinkerer
Username: Cpalmer

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,
I am looking for instructions on replacing my battery cover door for my Canon A1 camera. Can anyone email me any information?

Thank you,

Craig

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 31

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think there are detail instructions in the archives. If you cannot find them, email me. Basically you grip the hinge rod with a good pair of pliers and push the rod down towards the base plate. Move the rod downwards, just enough to free the top end. Spring the top end outwards and pull the old door off. Be very careful you do not loose the door spring at the top of the door.

Replacement is just the reverse, remember to replace the spring.

Doug Wilson
Tinkerer
Username: Loosecanon

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, August 27, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, you've gotten it ass-over-teacup, Glenn. You want to push the pin 'UP' into the TOP PLATE. Reminds me of the time I volunteered the procedure for removing the top plate of an AE-1P to someone who wanted to know how to remove the top plate of an AE-1. DOH!

Glenn Middleton
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Doug. I wrote the above at around 3.30 am, brain definitely NOT in gear. On the A1 bodies that I have completely rebuilt, the hinge rod and the retaining plate near base of camera have been modified. This allows the use of a better door spring and a downward movement of the rod, for door replacement. Why go to this bother? I once managed to push a very tight rod into the electronics above it - never have worked out why this happened, and back then the replacement doors were pretty crap and did not last long. At the time I was using the external battery pack a lot and to use this you remove battery and place an adapter in the battery box - hence the doors got a lot of use and also broke frequently.

So I will have to take more water with the whiskey and go to bed earlier - no other excuse for the arse over tit error, unless I am starting to loose the few brain cell I had!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration