Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 35MM Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Kiev 35MM « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Harlee
Tinkerer
Username: Harlee

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 04, 2006 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello. I'm wondering if anybody out there can help me. My recently acquired Kiev 4 is in excellent shape and I ran a roll of film to test it but my problem started when I couldn't rewind the film. I depressed the button on the bottom of the camera to release the take-up spool but to no avail. It won't budge. Is there another collar, lever, button somewhere else that needs to be depressed or activated to take the tension off the film spool before it can be rewound? I finally got the film out, but in pieces after I removed the back. Thanks for your help. Harlee

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it is anything like the FED, look for a milled collar around the shutter release, with two positions marked B and C. Push down on the collar and turn it clockwise towards the B mark, and you should find the collar stays down. This frees the sprocket on the take-up spool, and you can rewind. You then turn the collar back to lock the sprocket again when you're done (merely winding on the film advance won't do it). It's quite a finicky manoeuvre.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 41

Posted on Wednesday, September 06, 2006 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ain't nothing like the FED or Zorki types. A swift Google search for Kiev 4 gives you a bucket load of illustrations and instructions, all on the Kiev 4 family.(See possible answer to same question in maintenance and repair section.)

Ernestojl
Tinkerer
Username: Ernestojl

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, September 15, 2006 - 05:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Kiev 4 and itīs "sister" the Contax II and III require that you keep pressed down the unlock button all the time you need to rewind the film. Kievs have no lock in the rewind position like other cameras have. Releasing the button when rewinding is a sure recipe for film damage.
The original 1934 design of the Contax was maintained (AFAIK) for all Kiev 4 cameras (including variants). Mine is from 1966 and is the same as the Contax II of 1937. Cheers. Ernesto

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration