Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta Hi-Matic F Disassembly... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta Hi-Matic F Disassembly... « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 07, 2006Johnc09-07-06  03:36 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First question, John: are the batteries really ok? If yes I would completely agree to your assumption. With a fine crosshead screwdriver it is quite simply to dismount the bottom plate of the HiMatic F. From there you have access to the wires to the battery compartement.

Propably the wire of the minus pole has to be resoldered. That is more difficult as it sounds. The wire is propably corroded and does not accept solder. In this case it has to be cut back and a new piece of wire has to be added. However the wires of the HiMatic F are so short that there is not enough left to cut them back. In worst case you have to dismount the shutter base plate of the camera and to replace the whole wire.

Johnc
Tinkerer
Username: Johnc

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Reiner,

Thank you for replying - the batteries were fresh from sealed packs - I may try two more to be sure, but I'm fairly certain they're ok.

It seems I have a bigger job on my hands thna I thought :-)

Eugen_mezei
Tinkerer
Username: Eugen_mezei

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What a coincidence.
I just got my Hi-Matic F working yesterday.

My problem was, that I have mercury cells, but only in the PX675 size. So I needed an adaptor for the 640 size required by the Minolta.
I solved the prolbem with a plummers elastic ring and some plied alufoil. Works perfect.

The Hi-Matic F would not fire the shutter if you have no batteries inside. As this is an EE (electric eye) camera, the electromagnet that opens the shutter needs juice.
So before you dissasemble your camera, try new batteries.
It needs mercury batteries for exact metering. Exact type is PX640 1,35V.
You can try it with alcaline batteries, but the meter will be off.
I can offer you some of my mercury cells. Drop me a mail if you are interested. (Or anybody else.)

Greetings,

Eugen

Eugen_mezei
Tinkerer
Username: Eugen_mezei

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mention: The shutter "whirs" without batteries, but if you open the back and try to look trough the lens you will note, that the shutter remains closed.

Eugen

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration