Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 shutter only works when Ho... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canon AE-1 shutter only works when Horizontal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wsboyd
Tinkerer
Username: Wsboyd

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend bought a near mint AE-1 + lens @ a garage sale for $10 (I hate him). When I checked it, with two batteries @ ~ 80% strength, the shutter only works when held normally. Upside down, sideways, etc, no go. I open a fresh battery, install & the problem went away.

Ideas ?

Fiftyfifty
Tinkerer
Username: Fiftyfifty

Post Number: 5

Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Wsboyd
The plunger that is the negative battery contact,sometime corrodes into place.Remove the battery and try to work the plunger to make sure it is returning to its full height. A very small amount of may help.( just a drop on the end of a needle is enough)
I hope the is your problem.

Wsboyd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, but nope !
:-(

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 48

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the fault comes back when you replace the old battery (ie fault was not a one off due to long term storage), I think your problem could be a combination of two completely different factors. I have come across a number of AE-1's, that have been far more voltage dependant than the norm. They will hang up when loaded with well used batteries, which will still operate my A1's.

Your fault could be due to low voltage and a worn/binding magnetic release 'switch', which will only release when camera is in normal position. Remember these 'switches' are a combination of electro and permanent magnets, there is a repulsive element in the operation.

I cannot think of any other components that could be both voltage and position dependant. The fact that the camera operates correctly with a new battery, is a strong pointer in this direction of diagnosis.

Billmartins
Tinkerer
Username: Billmartins

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you remove the baseplate and clean the release
magnet next to the winder coupling contacts, I feel
sure the shutter operation will improve.

One method of cleaning I've read of but have yet to try, involves (with the magnet open) inserting a piece of photocopy paper then closing the magnet.

The paper is then drawn through the magnet. After
a half dozen repititions of this the magnet should
then be clean. Failing that, good old Isopropyl
alcohol is always a good bet.

Wsboyd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

IF he lets me at it with a screwdriver

;-)

I'll try this & report back

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration