Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 RD - opening lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Olympus 35 RD - opening lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Melchior
Tinkerer
Username: Melchior

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been following the tutorial at https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/oly35rdcleaning.html
I am having problems unscrewing the 3 screws holding the shutter speed detent ring (blue arrows); they are too stiff to unscrew, and I don't want to force them in case I damage them or my screwdriver. I read on another site that sometimes resin is used to lock the screws - is this true, and how can I unscrew them successfully?

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 04:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can slightly remember that I had the same problem with a Oly 35 RD. With a small screwdriver blade or a thick needle a gave a little bit of acetone on the screws and let it sit for some minutes. That softens all resin or other glue and serves as some kind of lubricat as well.

Pay attention: acetone is harzadous and attacks plastic and many paints as well!

Melchior
Tinkerer
Username: Melchior

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 06:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks, but are there any easily obtainable alternatives to acetone that I can use? The detent ring that the screws hold is plastic.

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 01:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As far as I remember this was a metal ring (anodized aluminum). It was not harmed by acetone.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 49

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go and buy a bottle of acetone based nail polish remover - the cheapest you can get, the more expensive have small amounts of oils added, to prevent skin defatting.

Resin is not threadlock - so you will see a coating of resin on the screw-heads and surrounding metal, if it has been used. A well fitting driver tip will remove any small screw that is retained by threadlock - that is the normal disassembly procedure.

If your detent ring is plastic, I doubt if any locking resin was used. The natural give/spring in the plastic will cause the grip you have found. A well fitting tip held in a handle of sufficient diameter, will remove the screws with no damage.

You should note; whilst the diameter of the handles on miniature drivers are chosen to give the correct tightening torque, these small diameter handles do a very poor job of removing tight screws without slippage/damage. I have modified a tip holder with epoxy putty, to give a larger diameter custom fit. This holder/handle is only used to remove/loosen screws.

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glenn touches upon a very good point. ie. screwdrivers and UNscrewdrivers.

When I first started tinkering, one driver pretty well did everything. Now just about every screw is touched by at least three drivers. There is the Niwa with the torque increasing T-bar pressed into the handle for breaking loose not only the tight screws but ALL screws. I find it safer to have the high torque, yet easy turning Niwa to turn the first quarter turn than the hard twist and possible slip with the standard skinny jewelers driver.

Next I unscrew with a "push to turn" driver...ONLY if the turning is very easy. Otherwise I use a standard driver.

Snugging is also with the "push to turn".

Final tightening is with a Wiha.

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration