Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtlander Brillant disassembly Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Voigtlander Brillant disassembly « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geowelch
Tinkerer
Username: Geowelch

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 12, 2006 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I picked up an ancient Voigtlander Brillant at a recent Toronto camera show. It looks like an early 1930's version with an all metal body, nonfocusing viewing lens and tiny zone focus f7.7 Voigtar lens. Not unexpectedly, the shutter is jammed, also dust, maybe fungus on the inside of the lens.

I'd like to get inside and clean the lens and shutter, as it looks like a fun camera to play with. The screws holding on the front plate came out easy enough, along with the focus stops. I think the lens just unscrews from the body, but I'm not sure what pitfalls await when I do this. Anyone taken one of these apart?

George

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is a simplistic camera upon which to work.
As you say - the lens unscrews from its focusing thread and you then have easy access to the shutter.

Ideally you should have the lens at its original infinity position and then unscrew it until it comes away into your hand. Slow down as it reached the drop-off point and mark the lens ring with a felt marker pen so that upon reassembly you can re-engage the multistart thread at that point.

Otherwise you can forget the aforementioned referencing and reinstall the lens ad-hoc. You will then need to place a ground-glass screen in the film-plane and with the iris fully opened and the shutter also opened on ""B", view an infinity image on the screen and rotate the lens until it becomes razor-sharp. This is then the correct Infinity position and you can set the focusing stops accordingly.

If you need to remove the shutter to submerse flood-clean, the assembly is held by a slotted retaining ring on the outside of the rear element - as accessible through the camer back. You can then remove the optics before flood-cleaning.

Hope this helps

Geowelch
Tinkerer
Username: Geowelch

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Ethostech. Construction of this particular camera is a little different than you describe, but close enough to be helpful.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration