Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zeiss Ikonta 521/16 folder with Compu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Zeiss Ikonta 521/16 folder with Compur-Rapid shutter problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eugen_mezei
Tinkerer
Username: Eugen_mezei

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!

Recently I aquired a Zeiss Ikonta 521/16 folder. (6x6)

Unfortunately they are some problems with the shutter.
It is a Compur-Rapid. B, 1-1/500s and flash synchro PC socket. I can't discover a selftimer.

(Btw. included is a 3,5/7,5cm CZJ Tessar.)

The problem is that I can't move the dial far enough to get the B and 1/500 speeds.

On the B side the dial blocks between B and the 1s mark pretty near the B mark, but not on

the B. In this position the shutter opens and closes at the same speed as if I put it to

1/250s. (Supposedly unbraked, at max. speed of the shutter.) The shutter doesn't remain

opened as long as I press the release knob/lever.

On the 1/500s side the dial gets only a little more far then the 1/250 marking, so it blocks

far from the 1/500s. In this position the shutter behaves just like in the what I called

before the B side.

Any idea what could be wrong? Maybe I must tension the shutter in a special manner for this

two speeds? Or unblock something so I can turn the dial in the B and 500 position?
Perhaps somebody have an user manual for this camera?

When used with the others speeds the shutter works great, even the 1s is accurate. The lens

is also clear and nice, so I would like to could use this camera at its full operability.

Greetings and excuses for my bad english,

Eugen

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 63

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds like the shutter may need cleaning. On the Compur Rapid it is impossible to turn the dial to 500 if the shutter is cocked, you must release it first, then set it to 500 and then cock it again..... but this does not happen to the B setting. There were older Compurs that could not be set to B if the shutter was cocked, but the Compur Rapid was not one of them.

Eugen_mezei
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... I thinked also about cleaning, but than I couldn't imagine, that only by dirt it would be stick so firmly. I intented to put it to B and 500 by real force. (Risking to distroy the shutter.)

Yes, I tried to move at 500 uncocked first, than cocked to. No succes either way.

Oh well... I will first test the camera with the other speeds. In the long term I need a repair manual for the Compur. Can I find one online?

Greetings,

Eugen

P.S.: The folder I am talking about is the same as the one you can see here:
http://www.kameramuseum.de/1zeiss/ikonta-521-16.html

Mike_kovacs
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_kovacs

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have seen an early Compur Rapid that had the type of B you don't cock, but it also had a T setting. Just to be sure, try releasing the shutter on B uncocked.

I have a feeling though this shutter is the usual kind that you cock for B.

As for a repair guide - google is your friend. I wrote: http://www.davidrichert.com/zeiss_521_16_compur_rapid_shutter.htm Your luck is good: exact same shutter, exact same camera! Good luck!

If you can't get it to work, I'm interested in buying a 521/16 for parts. Write me.

Eugen_mezei
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, October 02, 2006 - 03:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Mike for the detailed disassembling instruction. I will try it on my Ikonta.

Unfortunately (?) I will not sell the Ikonta. It is in a state that makes it usable just as it is, even without B and 1/500, so I think it would be a vaste to use it for parts.

A personal question: Te magyar vagy?

Eugen

Owlsplace
Tinkerer
Username: Owlsplace

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They are not that hard once you do a few. I usually do a complete CLA if I am going to use the camera: soaking the clockwork in lighter fluid overnight; cleaning the shutter and aperture blades with Simichrome polish; and lube/reassemble. The old Zeiss folders are fun to use.

Mike_kovacs
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_kovacs

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are right about my Hungarian name :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration