Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet QL17 G-III Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canonet QL17 G-III « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Lfcdm
Tinkerer
Username: Lfcdm

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everybody,

First of all, thanks for this great website/forum !
I have recently bought a Canonet QL17 G-III.
And I'm going to refresh it a little bit.
And I have a question about the viewfinder cleaning. And I'm a newbie ;-)

For the moment, I haven't opened the top plate to see how it's built.
I had a look on the repair manual and it seems there is a plate on the top of the VF/RF part.
Am i wrong ?
If that's the case, what am I suppose to do in order to clean it ?
I mean to clean the VF, i have to clean with Q-tips and Windex the glasses (to be sure, which ones ?).
But am i supposed to clean the inside of the VF ? So I have to remove the plate ? Is it stuck or screwed ?
I have read to absolutely not clean the RF glass with the patch. But what about the other ?

Thanks for your help.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 22

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Click on "repair manuals" at the top of the page. You will find one for Canonets.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 23

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I wasn't able to unzip it. You have to remove the 3 small screws around the end and back of the top, the rewind knob by unscrewing it fom the rewind shaft inside the back, and the winding crank by unscrewing the smooth ring with a pair of pliers wrapped with something to protect the finish. Best to hold it upside down while removing the crank and knob, otherwise small washers may fall inside the camera. Also I forget how the hot shoe is attached. There may be a short wire which could break if you pull the cover of too hard or fast.

Lfcdm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2006 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, thanks...but I already had a look on the repair manual. And I wasn't talking about the main top plate, but it seems there is a little plate over thr VF/RF system.Doesn't matter..I'll see when I'll open it.

My questions were more : do I need to clean the inside of the VF ? So, to perform it I have to clean the mirrors and the glass on the top plate. I mean everything but the RF one ?
Am I right ?
Thanks.

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 04:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The little plate over the VF/RF is glued in place and it easily lifts off. It easliy glues at place again after the procedure.

I allways clean the VF and RF with toothpicks and small pieces of a lint free and soft paper dipped in pure ethanol or in pure isopropene. And I also clean the semitransparent mirror. I never had an issue with any camera of that aera. But you should not clean the semitransparent mirror of older cameras like those of the 50ties.

Lfcdm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. That's what I was looking for.
2 additional questions : to glue after the procedure the little top plate over the RF/VF system, any kind of glue ?
And I have read everywhere that it's not a good idea to clean the RF mirror (the one with the patch). Are you talking about this one saying "And I also clean the semitransparent mirror"...??

Thanks.

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 14

Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use ordinary contact cement for the plate above the RF assembly, in the same spots as when originally applied.

When cleaning, be VERY careful about cleaning the eyepiece side of the semi-transparent mirror. Best is to leave it alone, as agressive cleaning will wipe off the silvering and you'll end up with a dead rangefinder.

Jan

Reiner
Tinkerer
Username: Reiner

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, September 21, 2006 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For reglueing the RF/VF cover i use contact cement too. I apply some tiny drops with a toothpick and position the cover immediately so I do not do a classic contact cementing.

With the semitransparent mirror I mean exactly the RF patch mirror. I have carefully cleaned the RF patch mirrors of app. 20 cameras of the 70ties without having any problems (Canonet GIII, HiMatic 7sII, Konica Auto S3 and others). But older RF mirrors of the 50ties are often critical.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration