Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfa rangefinder adjustment and calib... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Agfa rangefinder adjustment and calibration « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, September 22, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recently CLA'd an Agfa Record III. Took a roll of pix and found close focus to be a miss. The question is this: when adjusting rangefinder for minimum focus, is the object focused upon measured at a distance from the lens or the film plain? The further the object is from camera the less relevant this is.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 71

Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Place a groundglass in the film plane and adjust the rangefinder to give sharp focus on the groundglass. Never go by measurements from the engraved distance numbers on the lens mount.

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 08:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Precisely! You however have missed the point, or perhaps I have not expressed the point fully. Perhaps you are not fimiliar with this camera, the rangefinder is not coupled. Having placed ground glass at the film plane, and set the camera at minimum focus, do I place the camera 3.5 ft from the FILM PLANE or from the LENS to the target. These three elements; rangefinder, focus mark on lens, and ground glass focus, should be concurrent. If they are adjusted and calibrated at the wrong distance, one introduces more than 105mm of error into the whole operation and the other focus points out to infinity will never be as good as they can get.

To state it another way; the rangefinder is set at 3.5 ft, the focus mark is placed at 3.5 ft. and the target is placed at 3.5 ft. from the FILM PLANE or 3.5 ft from the LENS? The adjustment of the rangefinder is a piece of cake and I can make it read whatever I decide. The focus of the lens can be adjusted by loosening the tiny screws and repositioning the outside focusing element. The shims are for adjusting the infinity focus and they affect focus at all other focus distances. The rangefinder is back on the camera body but not at film plane.

The question remains the same "is the minimum focus distance LENS to subject or FILM PLANE to subject". The difference is about 10% .

Perhaps I am missing the point of using 100 year old technology after using state of the art SLR's for so long. I have already very carefully set the infinity concurrent with ground glass, infinity stop on the lens, and rangefinder. Perhaps I need to establish the error at minimum and try to remember.

Dan_mitchell
Tinkerer
Username: Dan_mitchell

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Distance is from the film plane.

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the distance is always measured from the film plane. However, the rangefinder on the Agfa Record III has such a short base that even when adjusted will not be particularly accurate.

I did own a Record III and it was the rangefinder that made me sell it and use a Zeiss Super Ikonta instead.

The Record III has an accessory shoe - try finding an old Leica rangefinder or something similar that could be mounted in the shoe; anything will be more accurate than the built-in uncoupled one.

All the best,

Jan

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 72

Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry about that. you're right, i am not familiar with the Record III and did not know it had an uncoupled rangefinder.

At the distances these work at and the speed of lenses they have, the distance from the lens to the focal plane is not very significant. The correct place to measure is the film plane, but it may not really matter in practice.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration