Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning haze on a chrome ltm Canon 5... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Cleaning haze on a chrome ltm Canon 50/1.8 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Physiognomy
Tinkerer
Username: Physiognomy

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I am wondering whether anyone can help?

I just bought an 'as is' chrome Canon 50/1.8 (ser. #104715) that was stated to be free of haze/oil on the blades... Well, it turns out that it has some of both... While I'm not too happy it is a really nice lens otherwise and I didn't pay too much for it. I have written off a complaint to the seller, but I'm wondering if anyone knows how hard it would be to repair? I'm not looking to invest $$$ in repair by DAG or Sherry K. as it will likely double my total outlay for the lens.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Peter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Peter,

I assume the lens you are referring to is eBay Item number: 320029570063, is it? You did not mention that it was a Canon LTM lens.

To take one of these apart, there is a retaining ring at the back of the lens, by the rangefinder cam. Unscrew it and the whole lens unit, including the diaphragm mechanism will come out. The rear elements will unscrew and you might be able to clean the blades from there; I don't recall exactly how far you have to go though.

If I recall correctly, the lens comes apart from the back and it will depend wher the haze is. It usually forms on the elements close to the blades and you might be able to reach it from the back. I am quite sure that there is a way in from the front, but not having the lens anymore I can't give you more details

Be careful when cleaning the inner elements of these older lenses; the coating is not very hard and is easily scuffed.

Good luck,

Jan

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration