Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X700 focusing screen Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta X700 focusing screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Helens
Tinkerer
Username: Helens

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've a Minolta X700 with dirty (and marked) focusing screen (the particles are generally above it). I know that they don't affect shots, but they're annoying. The X700's screen is "service center only" interchangeable - anyone know how difficult it is for mortals? I've successfully changed the screen of an XD7 (XD11) but the far more conventionally promising-looking release catch of the X700 doesn't seem very cooperative. And, I wonder, will the screen from the X300/X370 models fit (particularly the X300s, aka X370n, as I have a spare, ugly one with a decent screen)?

Thanks!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 80

Posted on Tuesday, October 03, 2006 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The screen in the X700 is actually very easy to remove. There is a small clip at the center of the front edge of the screen; pull this forward with the tip of a small screwdriver (it's a bit small to get with a finger) and the screen will drop out.

2 points of caution: first, the screen is symmetrical side-to-side, meaning that it's possible to install it either side up -- so be careful to get it back in right side up (the matte surface goes on top, Fresnel on the bottom) or your focus will be way off.

second, there is no supporting frame that comes down with the screen - just the screen itself drops out. this means that there is no frame to drop it back into for reinstallation. you have to get 5 little tabs at the back edge into a little slot at the back of the prism. doing this without making the screen more of a mess than it was when you started can be a trick....

I don't know if the X370 and the X700 have the same screen arrangement or not.... but if you have a spare 370, take a look and see if it works like this. it will also give you something to practice on before going after the 700.

Helens
Tinkerer
Username: Helens

Post Number: 12

Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 06:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Rick,

A bit of a fiddle, but I did it - and the screen from the X300s (aka X370n) removes in the same way and does fit - quite impressive as the X700 in question appears to be an early production one, and that X300s is one of the last of the family. In fact, the only difference I see is that any model that isn't an X700 has a floating fibre or neoprene mirror buffer strip which gets in the way a bit when replacing a screen - the X700 has the standard (disintegrating!) black foam. Maybe later ones had the same buffer at the rest, I don't know...

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 83

Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

glad it worked! good to know they can interchange.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration