Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica BX-20 shutter problem. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Praktica BX-20 shutter problem. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco
Tinkerer
Username: Marco

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 07, 2006 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got this unit as a faulty item just to obtain its nice 2,8/28 lens. But now I seem to be more interested in trying to repair the body!
Symptoms are as follows: the cocking lever performs normally but at the end of its cycle the shutter fires without intervention of the shutter button. Worse still, though the mirror goes up and then down again, the blinds shudder a little but do not really open. Besides, the speed dial has lost its click stops and there is only one (undetermined) speed. Also, the battery check button is missing. Insertion of a proper battery does not improve things (although a green led - at the upper left hand corner - does go on).
Any chance of it ever going back to life? I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to proceed. Many thanks in advance.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 20

Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have been this route with the model, Marco - and it is a "mirror-box out" job to address it. Unless you can find someone who will undertake surgery as a labour of camera love, the camera is pretty much beyond economic repair. Also - the loss of shutter dial clickstops and the missing battery-check button are a good indication that someone has been in there before so Lord knows what damage lurks beneath.

Sounds like a good time to savour your acquisition of the lens - and quit whilst you are ahead.

Marco
Tinkerer
Username: Marco

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much for your comments, dear colleague. I'll follow your suggestion and concentrate on the lens (it's great, by the way).
But maybe next year I'll feel more confident .. or forget your advice.
Best regards.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration