Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Super Ikonta rangefinder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Super Ikonta rangefinder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Xerces
Tinkerer
Username: Xerces

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 09, 2006 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm trying to fix the rangefinder on a Super Ikonta B, 532/16. The image moves diagonally instead of horizontally. I have cured the same problem on a Super Ikonta C by reference to Dantestella.com information, but the 6x6 camera seems more complex. Can anyone suggest the source of a manual or offer any suggestions? My main problem is how to disengage the lens from the RF assembly so that I can set infinity focus through the rotating wedges without the lens turning. Many thanks,

Owlsplace
Tinkerer
Username: Owlsplace

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 09:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It has been awhile since I did one of these but you have to take the front cover off to disengage the lens from the rangefinder. They are a bit of a pain but they are nice cameras when they are working correctly. Regards, Roger

Xerces
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roger, Many thanks for that information. I can now see how to disengage the drive to the rotating wedges. For my next trick, I'll have to work out how to remove one of the wedges so that I can turn it a little at a time until both images are at the same height. Regards, Leslie.

Owlsplace
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You will get it with a little patience. I have one waiting for a rainy day. It has another problem in that the rangefinder needs to be recemented. I don't have the cement so it will be awhile before I get around to it...Roger

Xerces
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Roger, After much adjustment, a gearwheel tooth at a time, I managed to align the wedges correctly and the moving image is now perfectly horizontal. BUT I now find that one image is higher than the other! Presumably that means a fault, or possibly an adjustment, in the prism that would have to be accessed by removing the top. Does your comment about recementing have relevance here? Once again, my thanks for your help. Leslie.

Mike_kovacs
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_kovacs

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Super B uses a prism to split the beam. I don't think its possible to recement these so easily because there is also semi reflective gold in the cemented joint. In any case it mucks-up the brightness/contrast of the image, not the vertical alignment.

I had a slight vertical misalignment on my Super B. Best I can tell, there is no adjustment. It may be from the lens standard not erecting to exactly the correct spot.

Owlsplace
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The beam spliter is glued with Canadian balsam I believe which degrades over time. It is the major fault with the viewfinder on these cameras in their old age. This would not have anything to do with the vertical alignment though.
You may be able to change the vertical alignment by shiming the beam splitter. The top would have to come off of course.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration