Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

FTB Shutter won't fire/reset Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » FTB Shutter won't fire/reset « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Photopud
Tinkerer
Username: Photopud

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The shutter on my ftb is malfunctioning. Here's what happens: I rewind, and fire. The mirror stays up until I rewind again, and the shutter never fires. I suspect that the shutter has malfunction, failed to reset, and has thrown some operation our of sequence.

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 07:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably not a malfunction.

It's just the usual problem with a 30 year old mechanical camera- needs a clean and lube.

The second shutter curtain does not have enough momentum at the end of it's travel to complete the cycle and drop the mirror.

Photopud
Tinkerer
Username: Photopud

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks Mikel,

You gave me an idea. I opened the back of the camera, took the lens off, and with my fingers, pinched the shutter and snapped it a couple times, that reset the shutter and now it fires. I'll work on cleaning and lubrication next.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration