Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon Fm2N Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon Fm2N « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rlc
Tinkerer
Username: Rlc

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am in the market for a Nikon FM2N. I have been advised that some have aluminum shutter but later models have titanium shutter. If this is correct how can one determine the difference between the two? Also is the titanium shutter more desirable and what is average cost difference between the two.
Thanks for any help. Richard.

Anirban
Tinkerer
Username: Anirban

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 08:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
A search on Google brings this terrific site at the top:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm2n/fm2ma nual/

Anirban

Rlc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 09:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Anirban. I found the site most informative but still don't know if the later aluminum shutter is superior to the titanium shutter. As I understand it Nikon went from Alum. shutter to Titanium and then back to the Aluminum on the latest models. Would this suggest that Aluminum was superior from a stanpoint of reliability?
I have a Nikon FM which had served me well for years however it has been repaired twice due to shutter lock up. (Mirror is in the up position and shutter will not fire) No sticky mirror foam damper issue here.
I am reluctant to spend more money on this FM as this seems to be a recurring issue.
I have removed the bottom plate and all seems to be OK there. I would like to try to repair this FM but need to find info on top plate removal to investigate that area in attempt to repair it myself. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Again Anirban. Richard.

Bengi
Tinkerer
Username: Bengi

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The FM2 started with titanium because it was the lighter thing available at the time. Then FM2new came out, again with titanium. Then the technology was able to produce an aluminum shutter with the same specification of the titanium, so Nikon put the alu in the last FM2ns produced. I might be able to find from which serial # they moved to alu in my magazines (It must have been between 1988 and 1990). In any case both shutters have the same reliability.

Ben

Rlc
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, November 19, 2006 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Bengi. You have been most helpful in solving this perplexing problem. Richard.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration