Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet Stuck Advance Lever Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Canonet Stuck Advance Lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_gallagher
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_gallagher

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2006 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a Canonet G-III QL17 in immaculate cosmetic condition for $25. It LOOKS new! I'm really happy with it--I just can't figure out how to fix it!

The advance lever will not advance past the halfway point. I came across this thread here:

https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/6899/5838.html

His advance lever also had the same problem but do you think the fix will be the same? Should I pull back the black "skin" covering and remove those four screws, lift the lens plate and finish the cycle? Do I just glue it back on when I'm done?

Also, I can't figure out how to make the aperture blades move. I'm not very familiar with the camera and it seems stuck at f/16. I'll move the adjustment dial but nothing happens. It doesn't move.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Mike

Mike_gallagher
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll assume that it's the same problem.

How does one go about peeling back the leather without tearing it? Apparently it's pretty hard stuff.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 87

Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 01:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The leatherette on the canonet is pretty tough and flexible, and it will survive a number of removal/reapplication cycles. I have never had to replace a piece on a Canonet.

The aperture blades do not move to a new setting until you cock the shutter, so don't worry about them until you have the wind lever issue sorted out.

Mike_gallagher
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, thank you for the reply!

However, after taking everything apart, it turns out that it's NOT the same problem.

I took some pictures of the whole mess. You can see them here:

http://www.putfile.com/ledfloyd/images/36813

Starting from the beginning of the album:

The first photo shows the bottom of the camera--this is completely advanced. I am not able to advance it any more than this.

The second also shows the bottom in it's resting position.

The third is a picture of the Quick Load system. I have a Canon FTb QL which ALSO uses the QL system. With my FTb, I am able to freely move the film teeth counter clockwise for a moment. The GIII however, won't even move unless I press the film rewind button.

The fourth picture shows the QL system AND also shows how far I'm able to advance the lever.

The fifth shows the lever and part of the QL system in a rest position.

The SIXTH and SEVENTH picture show from above how far I'm able to advance it.

The eighth picture is a close of the lever, etc.

And the ninth is simply a picture of the Canonet in its dismembered mess.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration