Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Take a Kid out shooting with you. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Take a Kid out shooting with you. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mike_rgb
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_rgb

Post Number: 10

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, October 15, 2006 - 01:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all, my name is Mike Arthur & I am really new to camera repair. For that matter I got my 1st Camera 2 years ago. Before that I have to believe I hated them, yet never knew why until now.

I was browsing Rick Olesons great Web site, & saw the picture of him at 10 with a Camera around his neck. That brought a flood of remembering my own Childhood, & how very different it was when it came to Cameras.

My first 17 years were spent travling & living in 9 Countries as a US ARMY Brat. My Father had a Zeiss Ikon Contessa he bought in 1955. He gave me that very Camera 2 years ago, it was the first time I had ever seen it out of it's case. He found the original manual for it a Month after the Camera arrived

You see what I heard when I asked my Father to teach me to use his Camera, was NO not now maybe when you are older. To make a very long story short It took me up to 2 years ago for me to understand why I never wanted a Camera & why their are so few pictures of me growing up.

This could be why I did not want a Camera or to have my picture taken. I regret most not getting my Son a Camera until he was 27 now he has 5 Prakticas. I have really gone wild & have over 30 Camera bodies, 90 lenses, 8 tripods, 2 Monopods + a custom made Vested Interest Vest.

Before you think me rich, I bought 90 percent of this equipment from Retired Men & Women. They spent a lifetime putting their kits together with filters etc only to sell them for pennies. They just had to have a Digi believing Film was dead.

Why do I need so many cameras? Well if I can buy it for $10 or $15 fix it up & put it into a poor kids hands. Need I say more? I am a retired Porsche Racing Tech, working with my hands comes natural. I have been building PCs for my Family members since 98 I have never owned a store bought PC. I drive a 1969 Chevrolet C/10 Pickup not a Porsche , can't afford one.

Being open about myself has never come easy. However maybe you may meet a kid who needs a Camera someday. I'll get off my box now & get back to work. Thanks for reading & thanks in advance for sharing you Camera experiences with me.

Mike

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration