Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta X700 locked up (yeah, I know ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta X700 locked up (yeah, I know it's common!) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Helens
Tinkerer
Username: Helens

Post Number: 14

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 04:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone,

Well, I just received a beautiful (cosmetically) X700 which I bought knowing it was locked up (I've a working but beaten-up looking one too, ironically). The pretty one is showing some of the classic symptoms - the leverwind will not budge, the camera will not fire. However, I've some hope it's more mechanical than the capacitor problem (I hope this because I have no means of soldering or skill/experience in it) - the meter LEDs stay on when I depress the shutter release fully, whereas I believe they usually go out at this point with the capacitor problem. I recall seeing somewhere quite recently some photos of an adjustment to try under the baseplate - does anybody recall the address for that, please? Or indeed, any tips on what I could try to get this camera going would be gratefully received. I can always hope it's just a wind lock issue (though I suspect I'll be lucky if it is). I've an unpleasant suspicion that it could be a curtain track/ribbons issue.

Failing other fixes, I'd like to swap the pristine top plate and baseplate onto the working camera. The latter is easy of course, but I notice from images on the web that the X700 has wires from the PCB to the hot shoe. I've yet to approach top plate removal - can the whole shoe be separated from the top plate? I'm hoping there may be screws under the spring plate of the shoe... Again, any instructions on the whole process of top plate removal for this model would be gratefully received (I don't want to marr the looks of this one, or wreck the functioning of the ugly one!) - most of the sites on the web show just a summary and the results of removal, rather than saying what precisely needs to be done.

Thanks!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Don
Tinkerer
Username: Don

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try this site. www.twid.de/X700

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration