Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon F Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Nikon F « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ronnie
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnie

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, I have a Nikon F that will not wind properly. The lever moves through its full range but the mirror seems to be locked about half-way between open and closed and the shutter release is blocked. I removed the bottom cover and a small (1.5mm X 4mm) "post" fell out. It was threaded on an end that appears broken off, the other end is ground flat to about half-way through its diameter. Does anyone know what this part may be and how difficult it may be to replace, assuming I can get another from a parts camera? Thank you, Ronnie

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a partially disassembled but unbroken F here, and tried to identify the part, but have not been able to figure out what part it is. You may have to hunt pretty carefully to see if you can find where it came from. It may not be native to the bottom section, but could have fallen in from the mirror box. Sorry I can't be of more help.

If you have not yet done it, I suggest you go to the following site and download the PDF of the service manual. It will at least help in the further disassembly.

http://www.ss-it.de/arcticwolf/nikon/service.htm

Ronnie
Tinkerer
Username: Ronnie

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, I have the manual. I think I will try to get a "parts" F before I start though rather than taking a chance on damaging the broken F. Ronnie

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think that may be a good idea. If the part you have found is not identifiable with the manual and you can't find a likely place for it to have fallen out of, it can be hard to track. The one thing I can think of that looks like the post you describe is the mounting studs on the removable finder itself. I can't imagine how one of those could have worked its way inside, but you might want to check your finder. If nothing else, you can then confirm whether or not the mystery post is the same dimension, which could help in tracking it down in my very opened-up F. If it does turn out to be a finder stud, perhaps from a previous finder from the current one, its appearance when you opened the camera might turn out to be coincidental.

Streetlife
Tinkerer
Username: Streetlife

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 05:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ronnie. Can you post/send a j-peg of the part you are trying to identify. I have a F/F2 workshop manual with a parts list, maybe I could find a match. Any idea what year your 'F' is?

Scott.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration