Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica-MAT vignetting at small apera... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica-MAT vignetting at small aperatures « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bdcase
Tinkerer
Username: Bdcase

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm working with a new (to me) Yashica MAT. I have two questions for the experts:

First, I recently processed my third or fourth roll of film and found that I had some significant vignetting; maybe 20% of the image. I have been using Yashica tele and wide lenses. While I was prepared to write it off to the lenses, I noticed that it is only happening at f/16 or f/22. Moreover, I think it happened on several frames where I wasn't using the add-on lenses.

Is it possible that I have a problem with the shutters that would cause this?

Second question: The film advance arm frequently jams after the first photo. If I wiggle around the timer handle and flash setting, it will usually come undone and start working. I know I have seen a post on this site to resolve this in the past but I can't find it.

Thanks for helping a rookie!
Brad.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vignetting will not be a shutter issue but rather is to do with your confining the lens field of view coverage - such as in using an unsuitable lens-hood and/or filter .... or an "add-on" supplementary long-focus or telephoto lens.

Your second question is a little too vague for me but others may have had some similar experience with the camera model and may thus respond meaningfully.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 76

Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using very small apertures with auxiliary lenses can be the cause of your vignetting problem. It can also occur when certain 'normal' lenses are stopped right down, however I did not think this happened with the Yashica TLR.

You can easily check this out. Get yourself a piece of translucent mylar drafting film. Tape it across the film gate and point the camera at a brightish light source with shutter on 'B'. Stop right down and observe the frame corners, now fit in turn your auxiliary lenses and repeat the procedure. You will clearly see when any vignetting starts to impact on the image area.

As for your 'wind on' problem; I suspect that it is the shutter cocking mechanism that is jamming. The fact that you 'wiggle' the self timer and flash 'levers' is a red herring - it is the movement of the lens/shutter board that frees up the mechanism. Get the camera a CLA; the wind on mechanism on this series of cameras is not the strongest around, it does wear quite rapidly if not serviced properly.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration