Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kalimar 28mm, tried to fix but made t... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Kalimar 28mm, tried to fix but made things worse « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert_pinion
Tinkerer
Username: Robert_pinion

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 06:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.

I have just joined this site,finding it to be very useful, and already i have a question!.

I recently bought a 2nd hand canon AE1 Program from a charity shop, it had with it 3 lenses the kalimar 28mm was defective when i got it home, so i thought, i'd try to fix it myself, having read a lot about lens repair on this site and others,and knowing the lens iis worth nothing anyway.

I took the rear mount off, then the aperture ring came off acidentally.

In my struggle to get it back on, i managed to push one of the little ball bearings that make the ring work into its hole so deep i couln't get it out. Then i compounded this problem by trying to get it out by using a pin with a drop of superglue on the end........ you can imagine what happened.

Any ideas as to how to get it out short of drilling it out?

I can post a picture if it would help.

The original problem was with the iris, when mounted the lens would be fully stopped down, and when i turned the aperture ring, it would open up at the f22 end, and close down again at 2.8, also the foccus would jam occasionally between 10" and 8". i thought a lever had become misaligned somewhere, and it was easy, big mistake.

If you can help my first go at lens repair turn from a total disaster into a success i would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Robert_pinion
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 06:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heres 2 pics:

the ball bearing (might be in wrong hole? there was a larger one).
ball bearing

the iris mechanism

iris

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The way to remove it is to drill a slightly smaller hole next to it and pry it out.

Swamp
Tinkerer
Username: Swamp

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I also have a Kalimar 28mm which coughed up a bearing and ground to a halt . I took it apart (to see if I could fix it) and then apart for the optics for a sun cather .. real world? GO TO eBAY and pick up another 28mm, it's not worth the hassle unless your into flagellation or are as determined as I think I am sometimes ... rather than drilling, I'd look for a solvent first, go from there and then go to Ebay :-)

Robert_pinion
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Friday, October 20, 2006 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK guys, had a go with solvent, can't get it, not greatly fussed, the lens was knackered anyhow, and i can pick one up from my local dealer with a 3mnth gaurantee for about £30.

I will keep it and if i can get access to a mini drill will give that a go,

Thanks for your help :-)

Rob.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration