Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Need help opening top cover on Fujica... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Need help opening top cover on Fujica ST-801 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Focal7175
Tinkerer
Username: Focal7175

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've been using the repair manual from a Fujica ST-705 as a guide, but I've reached the point where there are discrepancies between it and the ST-801. Here's what I've done so far:

1) Removed the battery cover
2) Removed the film rewind knob assembly
3) Removed the film advance lever assenbly
4) Removed two Philips-head screws

According to the ST-705 repair manual the next (and final) step would be to unscrew the ring that sits atop the cover upon which the film rewind knob assembly sits. In the case of the ST-801, however, this ring is much shallower and not stepped as it is on the ST-705.

Does anybody know the reamining steps required to remove the top cover on the ST-801? If so, and these steps require unscrewing/untwisting, can you recommend a way to deliver the needed torque? I can't for the life of me understand, for example, how that ring around the film rewind shaft is supposed to be unscrewed.

Thanks.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 36

Posted on Sunday, October 22, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are referring to the large recessed seating 'fairing" which is chrome-plated and is a little larger in diameter than that of the rewind knob. then I recall that this does not come off and is rather affixed to the top-plate. The ring to be removed is the slotted ring of about 8m diameter - which is the hub of the rewind shaft.

If however my memory betrays me (which it sometimes does:-) - then I aslo recall there are some Fujica SLR's whereby the former large chrome-plated ring DOES serve to hold the top-plate.
It unscrews conventionally (ie NOT a left-hand thread).
Use a rubber tool. A thickish neoprene "O" Ring of a size which just fits inside the rim - and a heap of pressure and torque per the heel of one's hand.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 37

Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't like responding with indeterminate information so I just checked using the ST 801 of my Collection.
The 23mm diameter chromed recessed disc as beneath the film-wind crank knob of the ST 801 plays no part in securing the top-plate.
It is captive with the top-plate and comes off with it.
You must of course remove slotted nut as around the hub - and of course remove the battery cover.

Hope this helps.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration