Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XE7/5 Metering Repair Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta XE7/5 Metering Repair « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Billpaul1949
Tinkerer
Username: Billpaul1949

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have 2 MINOLTA XE5s and an XE7. All have been through general overhaul/cleaning and repair for metering problems. All is perfect EXCEPT; all 3 camera's meters fluctuate wildly 90% of the time. f16 typically shows over 1/1000 shutter speed. Meter works perfectly if the depth of field button is out (not depressed). All were bought new and I/we love the cameras except they are now unuseable.
Suggestions?....anyone experienced anything similar and able to have it properly repaired??

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 29

Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a bit confused. You mean you had the cameras cleaned and overhauled THEN the meters got irratic?

Anyway, isn't the normal position of the dof button out? And it works perfectly in its normal position.

Tell me more...I'm very confused.

Henry

Chenard
Tinkerer
Username: Chenard

Post Number: 1

Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When the depth of field button is in, a switch closes that takes the aperature wiper resistor out of the circuit, so the exposure is calculated only on the brightness seen by the cds cells. When the switch is out, then the wiper resistor for the aperature ring is also factored in. I would suggest checking the dof switch, and also the aperature wiper, as well as the thread that connects the aperature wiper to the lens follower.

Paul

Chenard
Tinkerer
Username: Chenard

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay I got it backwards. The normal position of the DOF button is in, not out.

So with the switch in, the aperature wiper is in the circuit. I would remove the top left cover of the camera and clean and inspect the aperature wiper and its variable resistor. You will see it under the ASA dial, and it is connected to the aperature follower on the lens mount via a small black thread and two little brass pulleys.

If this wiper is connecting intermittently, the needle will jump around as the circuit can't make up its mind about what aperature is being selected.

There are other faults that could cause this behaviour, but this is the most obvious one which would be affected by the DOF switch.

Good luck!
Paul

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 38

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul, your analysis makes a lot of sense. I've been into several of these Minoltas and a few Leica R3's too. So I was willing to give a go at helping the original poster...if I understood the true problem ...and if they'd ever reply. But it looks like they came, asked, then left never to return.

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration