Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 35 GSN shutter remains open Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Yashica 35 GSN shutter remains open « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Geek
Tinkerer
Username: Geek

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I really hope you can help me, my favourite camera appears to be broken.

When I start to press the shutter, the red light turns on, when i keep pushing it in, the red light goes off and a bit furhter down the yellow light turns on.

Finally, I hear a click but no matter what setting I use Blub/A/Flash, the shutter remains open. When I move the advance lever, the shutter closes and i hear a loud clonk.

The Battery light turns on as it should.

I really hope you can help me.

mfg

Markus
markus.ortner [at] gmail.com

Henryzx
Tinkerer
Username: Henryzx

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your shutters stuck, must open the front elements and clean them using lighter fluid, it's going to be a fun job... good luck.

Geek
Tinkerer
Username: Geek

Posted on Friday, October 27, 2006 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

@Henryzx: Thanks for your help, but i don't think so, since when i shoot without the batteries, the shutter closes again immediatly. (1/500)

@All:

I added an image to show you how the pad look, maybe someone can tell me if its ok. Its approx 2.2mm thick.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/4030/yashicawy5.jpg

thanks

Markus
markus.ortner [at] gmail.com

B1bmsgt
Tinkerer
Username: B1bmsgt

Posted on Friday, December 01, 2006 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're PAD looks like others I have come across. If you poke at it a little, it will probably start to crumble. From my experience, it looks like it needs to be replaced.

Russ

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 36

Posted on Saturday, December 02, 2006 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you waiting long enough for the shutter to close? Depending on light, aperture, and film speed set the camera can time exposures to 30 seconds.
Just a thought.

Wayne
Tinkerer
Username: Wayne

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 04:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marcus, I just noticed this thread. My Electro does the same thing in the B or flash settings. I've replaced the pad, but I've never been able to get to the bottom of that problem with the shutter staying open when using those settings. Electronics are not my forte...

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 57

Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 03:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The pad seems ok, as far as one can say by inspecting it on a photograph. The white ones last longer, I guess. This being so replacing it will not change a thing. Cleaning switches and contacts with as little of electronic cleaner as possible is worth trying. If that won't help the whole matter will lead you to a trial and error replacement procedure of those parts that seem suspicious of causing failure.
Another option, if you are not a very patient tinkerer (with some sort of a masochistic strain), is considering another camera off evilbay, with a bit of luck and bidding skills Y el 35 GSNs can be had for close to nothing, W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration