Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leicaflex SL2 Viewfinder access Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Leicaflex SL2 Viewfinder access « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rol_lei_nut
Tinkerer
Username: Rol_lei_nut

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 30, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just got a Leicaflex SL2.

The viewfinder eyepiece lenses are heavily fogged (fungus?). The focussing screen and (as far as I can tell) prism are o.k.

Can I get to the eyepiece lenses by removing the small leatherette patches next to them or do I need to remove the entire top deck?

Any special advice for removal?

In the worst case - if the lenses can't be cleaned - does anyone know a good/cheap source for replacements?

Thank you,

Chris

Aaron
Tinkerer
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 07:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not worked on an SL2, but I have removed the eyepiece of a Leicaflex Standard. In that camera, I can reach the 2 locking screws under the eyepiece with the camera back opened. I don't know if the eyepiece of the SL2 is locked in place the same way.

Davidritchie
Tinkerer
Username: Davidritchie

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Aaron, your answer above may be of help to me. My SL has what appears to be a little fungus starting hopefully on the inside of the eyepiece. Do I just loosen the two screws you cite and expect the eyepiece to loosen enough to be removed or do the screws have to come out completely? Do you recall if they are slotted or phillips head? I cannot see the heads even with a pen light. Thanks

Rol_lei_nut
Tinkerer
Username: Rol_lei_nut

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your answers!

I'll answer my own question in the hope that it could be useful.

On the SL2, the eyepiece is held in place by two screws hidden under the strip of leatherette on the top of the eyepiece.

The eyepiece comes out as a unit. The 2 lenses are held in place by glue/wax.
Be careful when removing the adhesive - I managed to chip the corner of one of the lenses (blocking the chipped area with black paint greatly reduces the negative effect).
Also, the anti-reflection coating came off one of the lenses very easily.

I'd say that, despite the chipped corner and lost AR coating, my viewfinder has cleaned up to over 90%. Not bad, but since the viewfinder is one of the best features of the Leicaflexes, I've contacted Leica about the price of a new eyepiece.

Aaron
Tinkerer
Username: Aaron

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 07:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David, the screws are slotted head. Since you cannot see the heads, they may have been covered with wax. I have removed the screws completely, although it may be unnecessary to do so. If my memory serves me right, they have pointed ends.
Rol, did you say you have separated the 2 lenses of the eyepiece duplet? If you have, you have to use canadian balsam or a similar medium to hold the duplets back together after you have thoroughly cleaned the joining surfaces.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 86

Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 04:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would guess that Rol's original problem - fogged viewfinder - was due to the doublet separating. This is somewhat unusual, as by 1975 there were a number of good synthetic optical cements available. Perhaps Leitz still used the tried and tested until the new products had been fully approved, by long term use.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration