Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 101 blackout ? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Minolta SRT 101 blackout ? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pushbutton
Tinkerer
Username: Pushbutton

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My daughter borrowed the camera last weekend and after 1/2 dozen photos she said the viewfinder went black. Her student photography friend had a look and pulled down the top mirror !! Now the view is all blurred and the centre focus ring is dark.

This camera has been a friend for over 20 years, with NO other problems and I don't want to lose it.

1: What caused the orginal blackout ?

2: Is the camera damaged by the pulling down of the mirror ? I am sure it is not sitting correctly and wont stay up.

Any help or advice would be great.

Tried to download the repair manual, but it didn't work.

Have had cameras for over 35 years, yet have never had cause to pull any apart,probably lucky, after the early boxes and toys, I scored a Leica from a relative, then this Minolta.

Pushbutton
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, checked my manual (very long time no see) and think I have a handle on mirror op, but the view is still black or very out of focus, interchanging between them.

Whats up ?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 92

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sounds like the mirror and/or screen have been displaced/damaged. As I am not familiar with the adjustments on the 101, cannot tell you how to proceed with the re-alignment.

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 7

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are a couple of possibilities. The 101 has a mirror up lever on the right side of the mirror box near the self timer lever. If this was engaged and then the mirror was pulled down by hand, then some bending has occured. There is also the possibilty that the shutter curtain speeds are not quite up to specs. The 2nd curtain at the end of its travel turns a small nylon (hard plastic in early versions) gear in the bottom of the camera. Its known as the 'kick' gear and it has a small tab that trips the mirror release lever to allow the mirror to return to the resting postion. If the kick gear didn't complete the cycle or is damaged, then pulling it down by hand likely caused damage the the mirror box. Either way, its a fairly big job

Pushbutton
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 03:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:-(

repair beyond amateur ?

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 39

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey pushbutton, I have had my Minolta gear (several SRs and SR-Ts) since the mid-70s and can thus fully empathize with your being worried about the loss (which I think it is). Unfortunately I cannot help you because I have never repaired one of the Minolta SLRs, simply because there was no need to do that. But I know what I would do if I were you, which is getting myself two 101s off ebay (there are numerous good ones on offer there), a fully functional one as a replacement camera for daily use, and a junker for spare parts. I would then try to find info on the net how to dismantle, learn to repair and reassemble the defective one(s). This is similar to what I did when I started tinkering with RF cameras, and this is what I will do one day in a not too distant future with SLRs, as repair shops capable of professional repair are scarce and (too) expensive, good luck, W.

Pushbutton
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, looks bad, I now see that the mirror lock up button doesn't go back to the vertical, (red dot), locking at about 1 o'clock.

So while the lock up works, the setting must be out, putting the mirror (and focus) out when it drops.

But still what caused the original blackout ?
Was it the mirror button being knocked ?

Pushbutton
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like it is the mirror sit.

When looking thru the body (no lens) and out the viewfinder, it is blurred but with a light push down, the view is PERFECT.
So it must be that the mirror needs to drop just a fraction more. A arm or lever slightly bent ?

Krp
Tinkerer
Username: Krp

Post Number: 8

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 03:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, the mirror lock up button moves a small arm on the side of the mirror box. If it was indeed knocked (engaged) and then the mirror pulled down, well, you see the way the button sits now.

The repair would require removing the top cover and then the front plate. There are several tricky points to do this type of repair.

If you wish to attempt this yourself, let me know. I can walk you through it but it is time consuming.

Pushbutton
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, have taken apart plenty of car engines and such, but figure this more like a watch!

I have a set of jewellers screwdrivers, what else is required.

Problems:
Lots of springs ?

Remember all the settings ?

I would think because of actual use, LIGHT leakage or tight seals must be part of it.
oor is it a case of basically taking the WHOLE thing apart ?

What happens to the mirror when a photo is taken?
Does it spring up ?
Could I force the mirror control button up, maybe correcting the arm in process ?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration