Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Agfamatic I Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2006 » Agfamatic I « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wsboyd
Tinkerer
Username: Wsboyd

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anybody tell me anything about this 35mm ?

Made in Germany. S/N AK6967

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you Google "agfamatic" several references are shown, some for 126 size and some for 110 size.

Wsboyd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 33

Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

True, but I find no ref. for the 35mm Agfamatic I.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 100

Posted on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think these cameras were also marketed under the 'Optima' name. There was an Agfamatic 111s that also carried the Optima 111s badge - these date from early 1960s. I will dig out my collection of Wallace Heaton 'Blue Books' and see what the 60s/70s editions list.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 104

Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 05:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Agfa marketed a range of 'Self-setting exposure' 35mm cameras here in UK during 60s/70s, marked up as Optima. Blue Book for 1964-65 (for example) lists: 500S at £59/17/6, 111 at £39/19/6 or 111S with rangefinder at £45/15/6.

There is an Optima 1A with 'Color-Agnar f/2.8 45mm triplet' advertised for £28/10/6.

The 1A carries on well into the 70s, but the rest of the range were remodeled on the prevailing Japanese style - the 1972 Optima 200 Sensor and the CdS metered 500S are much more 'stylish and 'solid' looking.

So are we talking about the same camera? The easiest feature to describe on the Optima 1A, is that the lens/shutter is mounted on a raised front plate - approx 5/6mm? in depth. On the early 60s illustrations this plate/housing appears to be rectangular, on later models the length of the bottom edge is reduced and a curvature added to the sides (front on profile). The shutter release is a lever protruding from the right-hand edge of front plate. The actual release is a weird three sided thing, having two curved edges.

If cameras are the same, The Optima name was used in UK/Europe. Perhaps the Agfamatic was a US marketing name - is/was 'Optima' a US registered trade mark?

Wsboyd
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have it with me. It's @ a Salvation Army open book auction. I'll try to get a photo of it.

I was interested in the fact that is stamped "Made in Germany ", (not West or East).

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration